RCD spur

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by madmaz, May 7, 2010.

1. madmaz

madmaz New Member

Is it defeating the object to fit an RCD spur in a bathroom to protect an item ??

Alright its making the equipment safer but does it comply with 17th ?

As there would still be piece of equipment in a bathroom non rcd protected.

2. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

MM, if you're installing just the one fitting and you use an RCD spur for it, then you will have complied with the Regs by protecting your new work. You're not 'responsible' for the existing wiring that you haven't touched - although you might advise the customer on the condition of that existing wiring.

Lucia.

3. madmaz

madmaz New Member

I understand that, i am on about the location of the spur unit i.e inside the bathroom for example if a standard fused spur fitted in the bathroom is replaced with an rcd spur

4. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

I assumed you meant the RCD would be fitted in a safe zone appropriate to its IP rating, MM.

I don't see the need to replace an ordinary FCU with an RCD/FCU for existing wiring - particularly if its not going to protect all apparatus within the room.

Lucia.

5. madmaz

madmaz New Member

example

a downflow heater is fitted in a bathroom, this item is to be replaced with a new unit, no fixed wiring is to be altered, the heater is installed outside the zones and is of a suitable IP rating, the heater to be replaced is connected to a fused connection unit fitted beside it again outside the zones and compliant.

Should the existing spur be replaced with an RCD spur unit to comply with 17th ? or are we defeating the object as although the heater and flex is RCD protected the spur itself is not ??

6. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Should the existing spur be replaced with an RCD spur
    unit to comply with 17th ?

Absolutely not. It's a replacement unit and the fixed wiring hasn't been altered.

Lucia.

7. madmaz

madmaz New Member

Thanks thats my thoughts also

however

fitting an RCD spur is a better option i suppose

8. 999

999 New Member

Oh please