Good Quality Doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Ealing Tim, May 8, 2010.

1. Ealing Tim

Ealing Tim New Member

I am looking for various types of good quality doors, and of course good value for the money.

The sorts I am looking for:

1. Internal solid wood doors. I intend to paint these but want solid feeling doors. House is 1930's so probably one over three or two over two panels preferred. Are secondhand worth the bother? Not sure how quality dipped or was better for 1930's as I have dealt only with victorian in the past (and boy can some of those warp!).

2. Internal solid wood door for W/C. Ideally a good fit door/frame system if needed for obvious reasons, mainly noise! One does not want a guest bathroom giving a surround-sound performance! ;)

3. Traditional 1920's/30's front door. Might want wider than the average as we have a 2m wide hallway and currently a 1970's door/entrance in wood and glass, so potential for a door/entrance combo.

4. Concertina/fanfold double/triple glazed doors into garden. Need to be robust, smooth and weatherproof. Wary of wood (warping), but metal will surely conduct shedloads of heat outside in winter, right? The door divides living room from garden, so it is important it is year-round warm and snug.

This is a 1920's house, which had either two horizontal over 2 vertical panels or one over three, with a 1/3 2/3 ratio top to bottom I think.

So quite a bill, but if you have experience of satisfaction and suggestions as to hanging (e.g. I have rising butts and everyone says swap them out).

Thanks in advance.

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I would suggest if its a 30,s house then use something n keeping, I recently did a lot on a similar house and used some shaker doors in sapele/meranti/cheapo mahogan y and they looked spot on. I had them off Magnet but Wickes have some Oak Shaker at a reasonable price recently

3. Piratejoiner

Piratejoiner New Member

4. saddle joint

saddle joint New Member

Tim,

Can also give Jeld-Wen the thumbs up. A little expensive but they are very good doors.

5. wraggster

wraggster New Member

try these guys - good quality and service

www.distinctivedoors.co.uk

and no I'm not spamming before you lot start