Routing of bonding alongside gas pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by seselec, May 23, 2010.

1. I thought the regs said bond incoming gas/water/oil pipeps within 600mm of th epipe work entering th ehouse.

Why does the bonding have to pass through th ewall?

2. no comment

no comment New Member

600mm from meter visable from meter position. whats the point in puting it inside if meter outside no one knows it there. if your gona run the earth down the gas sleeve why not run the outside tap in it as well or tv ariel or anything else 4 that matter if its not in the regs its called good practice followed by any good experienced plumber. its not set in stone that on a sink cold right hot left its just good practice and common sence. i fit a sleeve for the purpose of getting my pipe from a to b (guided by the regs)regulations are a guide for the profesionals a must for the cc s takes me 5 mins to drill and fit sleeve if someone pushes anything up my sleeve i not happy .unlike some

3. midlands heating

midlands heating New Member

thanks lads I stand corrected !!!!
    Always use copper (have for donkeys years) will save a bit of dosh if I now use plastic

4. tackleburger

tackleburger New Member

Never seen an earth bond outside on a new build. Within 600mm of point entry in view or not. Seems ridiculous that you would put a bonding outside open to the elements when it isn't necessary.

5. seselec

seselec New Member

External meter boxes thats why its on the outside.
    Nothing on the inside within 600mm to bond to as gas is run behind plaster.
    Yes it was lazy, yes its not good practice,
    Look everybody does things now and again all I wanted to know was if it was regulation that you couldnt run ne thing else in the pvc sleeve.
    It was only on 3 houses but to redo now would cause lots of damage.

**** sparks ten a penny so are plumbers ive seen lots of bad plumbing work and plumbers spuring of all sorts to feed their boilers etc..
    Im not a **** spark i made an error on this fine wont do it again

6. gob

gob New Member

Lazy *. :^O

[Edited by: admin]

7. metaldust9

metaldust9 New Member

uve not made an error seselec just everybody has diffrent interpretation of a rule thats not really clear ure soppose to have bonding 600mm from the meter or before the first fitting but if its not there you have to warn the owner to get an electriton to fit it if ypou go back a yr later and its not done wat happens (nothink)you tell them again so all a bit unclear to me

8. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

I'm no expert on gas matters, gentlemen, but my travels often cause me to rub shoulders with a few very experienced RGI's, some of which have become very good friends over past decades.

Almost to a man, they agree that if the pipe is copper, then the sleeve should also be copper. But that usually applies where there's been an alteration or up-sizing of the gas feed when it doesn't emerge directly within the external cabinet.

I acknowledge Tomp's point about the fibreglass sleeve supplied with the external cabinet, and I dont dispute that at all. But I maintain that any sleeve should be made-good to the brickwork and that the gaspipe should be sealed against the sleeve (with FJC Compound or similar) to prevent a leak into the cavity.

Therefore, a main bonding conductor should not share that sleeve, but should find its own way through the structure.

I'm pretty sure that it was a CORGI rule and that 'Gas Safe' have continued with it......

Lucia.

9. no comment

no comment New Member

bs6891 recomend sleeveing meteriel must be capeable of carrying gas ie copper steel polythylene = plastic less they changed