Stalling Ford Galaxy.

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by plumberman4u, May 29, 2010.

1. plumberman4u

plumberman4u New Member

Hello There.
    I've got a Ford Galaxy 2litre petrol.
    A few weeks ago it started to occassionaly cut out when slowing down and going into neutral. This problem has got steadily worse so that it does it every time now.
    The car idles fine but if I rev it, the engine stops, but will always restart!!!
    I can drive all day in it and as long as I don't let the revsa drop quick it won't stall. Braking at roundabouts and junctions without staling has become almost impossible for the missus but I'm managing to bump start quite good now.
    PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN.

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Slack throttle cable. Adjust under pedal ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Or dirty spark plugs. Take out and clean, especially between diode and earth lug.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. Bassrock

Bassrock New Member

Mmmm

Take it your getting no engine warning fails on dash !

What year is the Galaxy !

Try removing air filter, just to see what happens, at same time check all air passages are clear and no "hidden" cracks from filter box to engine. Also try and hear for any hissing etc.. and kinks in pipework both vacuum and pressure.

If air filter makes absolutely no difference then obviously refit.

5. plumberman4u

plumberman4u New Member

Hello Again,
    Year of model is 1996.
    Throttle cable OK. Idles properly,
    Only a problem if the revs are reduced quick i.e. Stopping at junctions etc And going straight to neutral.

6. plumberman4u

plumberman4u New Member

No there arn't any warning lights on dash.

7. African-Si

African-Si New Member

Stalling or cutting out?

If its cutting out try running a compression test just to make sure there is enough pressure in combustion chamber.

part number 16856 if you wanna try it xD

8. Bassrock

Bassrock New Member

Mmmm

if compression was the issue it would be misfiring like a trooper after a curry and 12 pints of guiness !

Think it's a perished, broken pipe/hose (pressure/vacuum) air ductt etc.. somewhere.

9. Guest

Yeah, maybe too rich.

10. African-Si

African-Si New Member

Haha

Don't think it's mixture but check sparks plugs whilst you at it, doesnt take long.
    Just check for oil on plugs or if the plugs have a white residue (forgot what its called, sulphate or something), but means too much fuel.

Dont think it's that though because he said it starts fine and crappy spark plugs dont start!

Bass is prob right, something to do with the pipes or exhaust system, because as he said with increased revs it dies, which means that the increased mixture trying to escape is not escaping properly, but then again that could cause damage to spark plugs. o_O

I give up.

I once got chased by a Antelope..

11. plumberman4u

plumberman4u New Member

Thanx 4 all replies.
    Plugs are fine (Light brown colour)
    Going to check hoses in a minute. Will Let you all know.