Recommendation for matte finish to plywood

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by aarondown, Jun 25, 2010.

1. aarondown

aarondown New Member

I am building a low-level ply unit to house all the detritus of my kitchen. Whilst the top will not be used for food preparation it will have some appliances placed on it and I need it to be wipeable.

The ply I have is birch-faced and I don't want a gloss finish to it.
    Can anyone suggest what I should use on the top surface/edges to protect it from staining etc. i.e. oil, wax, varnish, shellac etc

Ideally, something from Screwfix/Toolstation would be great!

Thanks in advance.

2. Piratejoiner

Piratejoiner New Member

That will look good!!

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

if you make a unit from ply you need to edge all exposed edges with a bit off timber

you are far far better to use an offcut off worktop often found at band poo
    or find a dammaged length and get it half price and use the offcuts as shelves

12mm ply for example will sag at around 12" with a moderate load on top 18mm will sag at around 16"
    18 to 22mm timber will be in excess off 28" before sagging under heavy load

if it is needed to house a microwave/combined oven you can pretty much half the spans above

big all

4. big all

big all Screwfix Select

that should be B and poo ;)

5. aarondown

aarondown New Member

Piratejoiner: **** off.

Big all: Thanks but I like the look of the edge of good quality ply. I'm an architect and we use it a lot for worktops (with a melamine face) and furniture.
    I think I'll go with a stain varnish but I just thought I'd see what people had to suggest.

6. fuster

fuster New Member

I agree with you about the look of good quality ply. But why stain it if you like the look of it? Just use a satin varnish, but make sure you sand it down well and denib between coats otherwise it looks and feels cheap and nasty.

7. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Lots of modern stuff is made from ply, without having the edges veneered. Properly filled and sanded, it can look very effective and aesthetically pleasing.

8. flyingscotsman

flyingscotsman New Member

An architect asking a humble chippie for advice!!! I`ve heard it all now, I`m sure the helpful answers will come pouring in. ;)

9. Piratejoiner

Piratejoiner New Member

Sorry arron.After the amazing job you did of the fencing http://www.bobpiper.co.uk/fencing.JPG i think your work tops will be great

Such profanity from someone that went to grammer school

Fud
    :D:D:D:D

10. Piratejoiner

Piratejoiner New Member

And you are an assistant !!! not an Architect !! now stop bigging your self up and go and get some buns for the rest of the office ><

11. aarondown

aarondown New Member

Wow, piratejoiner, you learnt how to goggle someone!
    Next time try checking www.arb.org.uk

Everyone else, thanks for all your advice, I'll try the varnish method with some serious sanding.

12. jutty

jutty New Member

birch ply is a great ply and the laminated edges can look fantastic so there's not really the need to lip with solid timber. a good finish is 'osmo' polyx oil. you can but it in a matt or satin finish and once it has fully cured will give a great surface which can be wiped and cleaned easily. it's also safe to prepare food on aswell should there ever be the need.

13. two by one

two by one New Member

Agreed, Osmo oil seems to be the product of choice these days. Done lots of exposed ply edges work over the years almost always for ... architects.

Check these guys out;

http://www.untothislast.co.uk/