removing load bearing wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by ads_chip, Jul 1, 2010.

1. ads_chip

ads_chip New Member

hi everyone just need a bit of advice with regards to cutting a 6ft hole in a 11 and half ft wall(making 2 rooms a loung),the wall is load bearing, it holds up the dividing bedroom wall.i really just want to know if i can use a 6inch 2.4meter concrete lintel or do i have to go with a RSJ? thankl you very much

2. you need to apply for building regs and that will require some calcs to be done and that will tell you what size steel you will need

3. ads_chip

ads_chip New Member

evan though its an interior wall???

4. Guest

Yes! if you don't do it by the book it will come back and bite your botty.

5. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

evan though its an interior wall???

Would you prefer it if an exterior wall collapsed?

Do you feel an interior wall collapsing is less important?

6. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

That right, these days a wall is a wall is a wall.

Most walls are a single skin of appx 100mm brick or block. Even exterior walls are only a composite of single skins, held together with bits of wire!

So, same rules apply. For the record 6" concrete lintels are VERY heavy! IMHO a steel, RSJ type is easier to 'manhandle'.

Or, check out the specs from your local metal lintel supplier through your merchant. Catnic box lintels are lighter and have the calcs built in.

Add the time it takes to sort out an RSJ an off the shelf box doesn't look so expensive.

Just a thought.....

7. D.S Builders

D.S Builders New Member

Yes a 150mm lintel would do 6 foot or a 152 x89 uc. But as stated you will need council permission. You may not need a building regs you MAY be able to do it on a building notice.

However i'm not a se (droped out of uni too much paperwork) so you will still need to get it checked

D.S