Chimney opening

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by WackySpike, Jul 6, 2010.

1. WackySpike

WackySpike Member

Hi guys, I have recently removed a brick fireplace as it was outdated. I want to install a new marble fireplace that goes flush against the chimney, however after removing the brick fireplace I discovered that the fireback is protruding and isn't flush with the chimney so I proceeded to remove the fireback and hardcore. Now I am left with the original chimney opening, which is about 95cm (high) x 103cm (wide) and 42cm (deep). I want to have a gas fire installed so my questioned is do I need to rebuild the internal section of the chimney with a fireback and hardcore or is it simply ok to brick the opening, to the appropriate size of the gas fire and simply have one installed?

2. sootylum

sootylum New Member

Just brick it up to your required size using common brick that should do the job. remember and have your chimney swept and tested first.

3. WackySpike

WackySpike Member

Thanks for your reply sootylum.

4. WackySpike

WackySpike Member

sootylum do you know how much it roughly costs to have your chimney swept and tested?

5. Guest

6. WackySpike

WackySpike Member

lol, sure I could do with an extreme tan.

7. WackySpike

WackySpike Member

Would testing it with smoke pellets be sufficient? The chimney has been in use for many years prior to me dismantling the bricked fireplace and its worked without a problem. No leaks as far as I know. Also had a Corgi registered guy come round a year or so ago and he checked and certified all the gas fires.