Insurance for PIR tests

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by stella fella, Jul 6, 2010.

1. stella fella

stella fella New Member

Hi all

I think i need to get some cover for my PIR testing. Basically incase my recommendations are wrong or i miss something when inspecting etc. I have public liability cover but i dont think this kind of liability would be covered under that.

Can anyone recommend a company that would do this?

Thanks

2. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Professional indemnity, although some people on here seem to think it's not necessary, i'm not sure?

3. lamps

lamps New Member

your best insurance is your knowledge of electrics :)

4. stella fella

stella fella New Member

why would some say it is needed and some say it is not? What is the argument here?

5. J.P.

J.P. New Member

How can you insure PIR testing?..I mean if you miss something (and lets face facts from what I see PIR's are cursory inspections at the best mostly) and summit blows up..how can that be deemed as an insurance claim? Any stuff not tested would not show on what I presume is some kind of er lets just say ''PIR Cert''

6. lamps

lamps New Member

have you not got public liability?

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi stella

When you carry out a periodic inspection you are giving professional advice to your client/customer. If, as a result of your advice something goes wrong, or something happens based on what you have said, you can be sued for negligence. The type of insurance to indemnify you against this is called Professional Indemnity Insurance. The industry standard is £250k. If you are a member of a professional body, such as NICEIC, NAPIT, ECA, Elecsa etc. then they usually stipulate what you must hold in the way of insurance or qualifications for them to allow you to do certain tasks within your membership remit. If you are nota member of any professional bodies then it is wise that you would have PI anyway.

The cheapest insurance can usually be had through your membership of one of these bodies.

8. J.P.

J.P. New Member

I don't think as a DIYer that I need public liability insurance Lamps..however if I was in business then of course, plus that what Sen sais..Professional Indemnity.

9. lamps

lamps New Member

i was asking stellas fella jp

10. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Sorry Lamps..:)

11. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Funny ol thing electrics within the domestic environ really..cripes anyone would think people were re-aligning the photon drives in the Starship Enterprise..:)

12. dingbat

dingbat New Member

"When you carry out a periodic inspection you are giving professional advice to your client/customer. If, as a result of your advice something goes wrong, or something happens based on what you have said, you can be sued for negligence. The type of insurance to indemnify you against this is called Professional Indemnity Insurance. The industry standard is £250k. If you are a member of a professional body, such as NICEIC, NAPIT, ECA, Elecsa etc. then they usually stipulate what you must hold in the way of insurance or qualifications for them to allow you to do certain tasks within your membership remit. If you are nota member of any professional bodies then it is wise that you would have PI anyway."

Or...

You should ask the insurance industry what you need.

I've heard many arguments on both sides but PI insurance is expensive and may not cover you for carrying out inspections; your standard liability insurance may well be all you need.

Ask at least three insurers and see what they say - explain that you are not offering a design consultancy service, but reporting on an installation's suitability for continued service and compliance with current standards.

13. stella fella

stella fella New Member

lamps, the answer to your question in the original post.

14. lamps

lamps New Member

oops missed that :)

15. fooman

fooman New Member

16. seemless

seemless New Member

PI???

Magnum PI???

Sparks buying PI insurance are parting with their hard earned cash unnecessarily.

We are not offering advice but merely opinion.

You can't offer legal advice on guidance!

17. seemless

seemless New Member

Now get a * grip peopl!

[Edited by: admin]

18. seemless

seemless New Member

And don't anyone try and tell me otherwise!