Removing faulty Euro Lock

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Team of 99, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Team of 99

Team of 99 New Member

The key has got stuck in the patio door lock and will not now lock.

I have located the securing screw and removed it, put the lock will not slide out, probably because the mechanism is not in the right position.

How can I remove it to fit a replacement?

2. Team of 99

Team of 99 New Member

.... but the lock will not slide out

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Try squirting some WD40 into the lock past the key if you can, to free the key.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. Team of 99

Team of 99 New Member

Tried that thanks Andy, it didn't work. But I will spray again and leave till tomorrow. Thanks

5. gordon bennett

gordon bennett New Member

Hi,

Had the same thing happen at my granddaughters house.

One of the kids snapped the key in the lock,i went down took out the screws holding the euro lock but like you couldnt get the lock out.

The problem is the arm that comes out the side of the lock,as you mention has to be flush with the lock if it isnt the lock wont slide out.

Luckily part of the key was still in the lock and i got a small screwdriver and managed to turn the middle back to square just enough to slide the lock out.

If you can turn the key slowly to get the arm in the correct position the lock will slide out.

Am i right in that you can still turn the key,your new lock if its a 95mm euro lock can be purchases from any replacement door or window company.

Let us know how you get on.

6. It's the cylinder that you're trying to remove, not the lock. If the cylinder is rotating but not enough to line up the tooth in the lock, the lock or part of the locking mechanism could be faulty.

7. barbaricduck

barbaricduck Active Member

Not sure if you can turn the key at all (as GB said).

If what you mean is that you can turn the key but it will not lock and you cannot remove the cylinder, then I would suggest taking handles off around the cylinder (WD40 around cylinder housing as per HA), turn the key gently back and forth whilst LIGHTLY tapping the cylinder with a hammer until you get some movement.

I have had this problem in the past and remedied as above. I have replaced loadsa euro locks and still forget how much to turn key by to get it lined up to remove. It's will be around 20 or 110 degrees from putting the key in I think.

HOWEVER, if key wont turn at all maybe try a quick tap on end of key with a hammer to see if it loosens or locksmiths it is mate!

8. Team of 99

Team of 99 New Member

Thanks for all the advice.

The key will only move through about 10 degrees. Also it is the cylinder that is faulty (I thought that was the lock).

I will try WD40, tapping the cylinder whilst rocking the key.

Thanks.

9. Does the handle lift up when the door is in the open position?

10. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

11. G Brown

G Brown New Member

12. Team of 99

Team of 99 New Member

The handle does lift.

Cant see the bump key idea working because I cannot remove the existing key, but thanks.

13. There is another way to remove your cylinder without bump keys takes about <u>twenty seconds</u>

if I posted it I would get banned,
    but if you stick up your e-mail addy...

14. barbaricduck

barbaricduck Active Member

Midnight could you email me it please mate. Addy is nedagra@yahoo.co.uk.

Would appreciate it.

15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You could try this.

If you handle moves up(to engage the other latches, then I would assume that it is in fact unlocked, so the barrel/cylinder SHOULD be in the position to slide out.

Obviously not though.

Try fitting a securing screw longer than the one you took out, and try pulling that in and out at the same time as trying to push/pull the cylinder out.
    The screw won't move the cylinder much, but may be enough to jiggle the lever into the free position.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. i am sparticus

i am sparticus New Member

Modnight cowboy send me the detail to maintenanceman2008@yahoo.com. I would really like to see if it works. Thanks

17. Team of 99

Team of 99 New Member

JOB DONE !

The problem does not seem to be the lock itself. I lubricated it well with WD40, kept twisting the key and tapped the face of the cylinder with a small hammer, eventually the cylinder freed.

I noticed a loose square nut in the cylinder cavity but could not retrieve it at it seem to fall downwards and now cannot be seen (may cause problems in time to come :( ).

When I was tapping the cylinder a small spigot of metal with a thread on one end, fell from the side face of the lock assembly (it was roughly in line with the working part of the cylinder). I must assume the nut was retained this spigot in place, but fouled the lock when it has worked loose.

I dont know what purpose the spigot served, but it is no longer in place. But everything seems to function perfectly fine (for now!).

Thanks for all the help.

18. jacobite

jacobite Member

Hi midnight,
    Are you on about using a snapper tool?

Regards
    Jacobite

19. Carlb

Carlb New Member

Midnight, i know exactly what you are on about having done this many times. Remember though, it is easier with brass eurolocks but still can be done with steel ones but the risk of wrecking the mecha box is higher. Also, there are new locks out now preventing this and becoming more common as insurance companies are specifying them.