what options do I have with roof ?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by yorkricho, Jul 22, 2010.

1. yorkricho

yorkricho New Member

Hi was going to build a workshop/drum practice room at bottom of garden.
    Its going to be a block/rendered construction and was going to put a flat roof on it but would prefer a pitch tiled roof but was not needing planning permision due to the flat roof been under 2.5 mts high.
    The size of the building is going to be 3m x 6 m will I get a pitch roof over the 3m width ? If I built the walls 2mts high and had 0.5m pitch height would that be possiable ? suppose I could make it a valted ceiling to get some height back ? any suggestions ? thanks

2. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

Have you considered the profiled metal sheets?

We found some really cheap from a industrial type place. dark green, shallow box profile.

Looks great, wont rust or leak and were fitted in minutes. Will last about a million times longer than 'shed felt'!

Try local agricultural places or sheet cladding companies. ours were 10' offcuts!

Just a thought......

3. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

Oh, my point was/is that the sheets can be fitted at low pitches :)

4. farmacist

farmacist New Member

steadmans at carlisle do that sort of thing, should be on the web, dont know how far they deliver to.

I have had some on my garage roof for 10y and looks like new. only think is stopping condensation on the under side. I have seen old type roof felt for this. Tyvex would be good, but its not cheap.

5. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

Good point farmacist. We went over the top of existing felt so never noticed what was going on underneath. Yes, thinking about it those metal 'sheds' were a pain.

On a new build it could be insulated etc.