RDC dilemma?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by jumboscruit, Jul 24, 2010.

1. jumboscruit

jumboscruit New Member

Have been asked by a friend to retro install an RCD to the mains meter-tails in a property he lets,but had to tell him that it's not really the way things are done now, and he should really be thinking of a new dual RCD unit, but was put off by the cost.

Not sure whether or not to do it,it would certainly make the installation safer than with no RCD at all, but would not fully comply with 17th. ed.

Any thoughts?

Js.

2. edward current

edward current Active Member

do you really need to ask??????

you will be liable for all circuits,

you will install said device, it will trip, you will be there for days sorting it out, it will trip again, you will get constant calls........

Do the job properly or walk away.....

my advice...... get cash up front

3. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Although it would certainly make the installation safer I have to agree with daydreema on this one, a can of worms springs to mind!
    Could you not just rcd the socket circuits,feeding them via a stand-alone rcd beside the c/unit? or maybe rcbo's if the c/unit is suitable.

4. Autoflex

Autoflex New Member

Jumbo all your friend needs as a landlord is a periodic Report marked Satisfactory
    the fact that installation is to a previous edition of the regs does not make it unsafe and it should not be marked so on that fact alone, it should just be shown as a permitted deviation. it should only be classed as unsafe if there are other dangerous defects.
    as to you fitting an RCD in the tails you doing so would then be in breach of the 17th regs for no or little reason.as a rcd in tails provides no protection against death by electric shock and as daydreamer said could cause other problems.

5. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

as a rcd in tails provides no protection against death by electric shock
    --------------------------
    Why's that then Autoflex? I'm not saying it's a good idea but a 30m/a rcd in the tails would give as much protection against electric shock as putting it anywhere else!

6. Autoflex

Autoflex New Member

"Why's that then Autoflex? I'm not saying it's a good idea but a 30m/a rcd in the tails would give as much protection against"

yes seneca a 30mA would, but as you say if a 30ma rcd would not be a good idea fitted in tails, !the point is?

7. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

the point is?
    ----------
    My point is just that you said an rcd in the tails wouldn't give protection against electric shock, i'm saying it wouldn't be a good idea simply due to everything going off at once.

8. Autoflex

Autoflex New Member

well seneca I thought it should have been pretty obvious to any Lamp Tramp worth his salt that I wasn't talking about 30mA RCD's that should not be fitted in meter tail's anyway

9. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

But not everyone is as clever and experienced as you Autoflex!

10. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Put it this way Jumboscruit: What would you do if there were already 30mA RCD (but faulty) protection between the meter and fuse box?

You'd simply replace the faulty unit, wouldn't you?

Never mind the 17th Edition claptrap - just make sure that your work - whatever it is, doesn't leave the installation less safe than it was before you started.

There are countless numbers of properties having a single RCD as a main switch.

There's only a certain amount of cotton wool that can be used to molly-coddle the fragile British householder.....

But you'd do well to follow the commonsense suggestion from Seneca here.

Lucia.

11. fabregas

fabregas New Member

Jumbo your dilemma seems to be putting the letters R,C and D in the correct order.

12. jumboscruit

jumboscruit New Member

Thanks for all the replies. Apologies for the typo error, and also, you're right, I shouldn't even need to be asking.

The fact is,I'm not too keen on doing the job, but they are friends of mine, and are good landlords and anxious to give their tenants adequate protection. I am fully aware of the potential problems in fitting one RCD to an entire installation, and don't relish a late-night call from them telling me they have no power at all.

I would rather replace all the mains gear with a 17th. board, to be on the safe side, only after a thorough check on the existing installation to check for any inherent problems first.

From experience, I haven't really ever had any problems with fitting RCDs to an installation, but you never know what may happen next. If the job was local, I wouldn't mind so much.

So there's the dilemma, leave the installation with no RCD protection at all, or at least have one doing the whole lot.

Js.

13. Joelp1

Joelp1 New Member

how many circuits jumbo, are RCBOs not a possible option?

14. pearcy

pearcy New Member

Re: RDC dilemma?

sounds serious is it catching.....