Using ptfe tape on back boiler connections?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by expatinfrance, Jul 24, 2010.

1. expatinfrance

expatinfrance New Member

I'm installing a woodburning stove with a back boiler, is it safe/advisable to use ptfe tape on the copper pipe connections to the back boiler? Is there something better I should use?
    Hope you can help.

2. G Brown

G Brown New Member

PTFE is fine..do you know what you are doing if you have to ask such an elementary question?

3. jazz drummer

jazz drummer New Member

4. expatinfrance

expatinfrance New Member

Yes, I know what I'm doing, I just like to question every aspect. As the stove itself can reach 400c in the heart of the fire, I wanted to check if there were any problems with ptfe, although, obviously, the water passing through the connections shouldn't be allowed to go much above 90c.
    I've searched the web and can't find anything which says its safe to use ptfe on a wood burner, perhaps its so elementary that I should have known it from birth.
    Better to be too cautious than make assumptions.

5. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

Qui Monsieur cleggy, je conne le chose que je fait! Je suis francaise. Je Sui encore en cc, ccc, ccccs.

Translated in French, that reads: eeeemmmhhh, scratch of head?

6. farmacist

farmacist New Member

ptfe has the trade name Teflon, its what non stick pans are coated in, so heat resistance is not a poblem, hope this eases any worries you have.

Ps used ptfe on the last boiler I put in a wood burner. What I would say about that is use a stainless steal one if you can. The standard steel on did not last that long, worth the extra if its an option with your make of stove/boiler

7. expatinfrance

expatinfrance New Member

merci bien.
    I've already bought a steel stove, but thanks for the suggestion. Next time I'll look out for a stainless

8. farmacist

farmacist New Member

Steel stove is fine, bur I would get a stainless steel boiler (assuming its the clip in type that replaces the baffle plate)

If you are using a steel one, make certain that water can not get down the flue, as it will cause rust, unless its used every day, guess not in france as your summers are better than ours.

May be repeating myself, but the last steel boiler (clip in type on a villager stove) rusted through within 6 years (no cowel on top of the flue)

9. expatinfrance

expatinfrance New Member

The boiler is a wraparound, built into the side walls and back of the stove, not a removable one, and I've got a cowel to fit on the top of the flu pipe. Ive got a Hunter herald stove bought from England. The French don't seem keen on living room log burners with back boilers, they prefer inserts with hot air distribution. If they want to produce hot water from burning wood, they tend to have an industrial style burner tucked away somewhere, with autofeed of logs or pellets. Where's the fun in that?

10. farmacist

farmacist New Member

my brother in law has one of those. Nice stove, nevergiven him any problems.
    Its the 8kw one, heats a 3 bed 1900s terrace and hot water no problems.

Wrap around boiler should not be as prone to rust, may be worth lighting it in the summer occasionaly though. I find I get condenstion in the flue about 3 weeks afer having the stove on (in summer) if its a damp day, we get a lot in the north!