Minimising dust when cutting slabs

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by twisty, Jul 29, 2010.

1. twisty

twisty New Member

I have about 30 450 x 450 slabs that will need cutting down in size to fit around walls etc on my new patio.

The problem I will have is the huge amount of dust that is generated when cutting slabs I only have a very small garden.

I already have a 9" electric angle grinder wih a 230mm diamond blade so cutting the slabs to size presents me no problem.

Someone has suggested a block splitter, I know what they are but am unsure of the results I will get, what I need to do is minimise the dust generated at minimal cost I could try trickling some water from a hose when cutting but have ruled this out because of the electric grinder. I looked at hiring a dustless concrete cutter from HSS (hire) but found it was for chasing out walls!

I have investigated paying someone to cut these slabs to size for me but at £15-00 a cut it was prohibitive.

Has anyone any ideas that may help me here, or can anyone point me in the direction of someone who might do this for me in the hertfordshire area.

Many thanks

2. timber ninja

timber ninja Member

hey twisty,

if your willing to use an angle grinder yourself (evil tools) just hire a stihl saw. like an angle grinder but easier to keep your hands clear of the spinning bit and has a wet cut attachment.

wont take long at all. your in herts? try speedyhire.

3. N. Green

N. Green New Member

You could hire a petrol cutter. Then just trickle water on the disc, with a hosepipe.
    Keeps the dust right down.

4. timber ninja

timber ninja Member

just googled local hire centres.

your looking at about £25 for the saw and £10 for the dust suppression kit.

oh, they called it a cut off saw too. but mention stihl (pronounced still) and they will know what your on about

5. N. Green

N. Green New Member

Oh.. a bit late. Great minds think alike.

6. twisty

twisty New Member

Thanks everyone, looks like I'll hire a stihl cut off saw, just seen a youTube video of it in action, looks a real beast - it will make short work of my paving :)

7. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

Could you get them down the local karate club? Pfffft.