Village bore hole

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by The Ex-Kitchen Fitter, Jul 29, 2010.

1. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

KF

If your signal wire is simply feeding a 'NO' contactor at the Pump end with a 230V signal to energise then you'll need 6mm 4C XLPE SWA cable.

3 cores for the L, N & E and the armour is a bonus.

4th core will carry the 230V trigger signal for the contactor or direct feed float switch etc.

2. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Not used 6mm for ages but have just paid £5.15 + VAT for 16mm 4C XLPE today funnily enough so guessing 6mm will be around the £4 mark which will still be £800 worth of cable for you to buy! :O

3. seemless

seemless New Member

Please give just £2 a month so little Hadja doesn't have to carry water the long journey to EX-KF's house!

4. Cheers sine.

If I can get myself sorted I'll put some pics up on Flicker,

You'll see just how bad some of my water supply is!

5. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Fantastic. Is that sump higher then the surrounding houses Kitchen? If it is then syphonics surely will come into play in tandem with pump?

6. The pic with the square manhole entrance is the lowest tank on the system, it's about 50m above the houses below.

I can't find the pic that shows the whole hill, next time I'm checking the springs I'll get another pic.

7. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Good stuff KF..:) Is it possible to site the pump further away from the bore hole? If so, the below maybe operational.

1..Not so much SWA is needed and VD issues and stuff might be lessened thus allowing a smaller core CSA which means a smaller and lighter SWA cable.

2..The pump could go in a proper sort of brick built unit or metal cab or whatever, and then the pipes from there could radiate to the various dwellings via a manifold.

8. J.P.

J.P. New Member

The whole project whatever way its done must cost a not inconsiderable sum of money I would think.

9. JP, the pump is actually situated in the bottom of the bore hole.

I'm hoping that all the switch gear etc will be located in a manhole chamber - a water tight concrete box set into the ground and a watertight lid on it.

Anything above ground attracts the requirement for palnning, if it's flush then no one can see it. Or atleast thats the view we're taking following advice from a friendly planning office.

10. JP, in the last 2 years we've spent about £5K in materials and 100's of volunteer labour hours.

The current project has a preliminary budget of £35K though I hoping it will less than this and also that grant monies reduce the cost still further.

I'm trying to make this a once and for all scheme - all pipes that can be replaced will be replaced, the springs and bore hole are all on line so that we have a supply that meets demand and we have a reserve of funds to cover emegencies.

The one thing we're dreading is the failure of pipework that passes under the road.

11. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

The one thing we're dreading is the failure of pipework that passes under the road.

That's nowt to sweat about KF.

Modern thrust bore techniques make road crossings generally a piece of ****

12. fabregas

fabregas New Member

Hi Kitchen Fitter..you say the signal is on/off..what does that mean and what kind of signal is that? What does it look like on the oscilloscope trace?

Now you see it, now you dont.

13. J.P.

J.P. New Member

:^O

14. Update.

I've given up on trying to organise the village scheme, lack of interest and apathy.

I've decided to put my own bore hole, it will be a joint scheme with immediate neighbours.

So thanks for all the input.

15. mr sillys

mr sillys New Member

thank the lord this bore hole of a thread is over?

cheers

16. Moses

Moses Member

if this thread was not over then I would have said that no one on this forum had considered that the load was a pump motor with a starting current of over 10 times the normal running current, especially as it starts under load.

so when calculating volt drop for the cable no one took this into account. The pump would at best not start and worst catch fire with 2.5mm and 6mm cables.

You also need technical data on the pump from the manufacturer indicating the minimum starting volts at the pump terminals.

With the above information you can the calculate the cable size knowing the acceptable voltdrop.

17. mr sillys

mr sillys New Member

cheers

[Edited by: admin]

18. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Would thoo mind if we had a picnic next to thee bore hole? Thoo see the Captain, Lucia n meeself hiv never been on a proper holiday, the Captain Sir is going to drive us to a place of our chooosing

Lucia has promised to make the sandwiches

19. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

if this thread was not over then I would have said
    that no one on this forum had considered that the load was a pump motor with a starting current of over 10 times the normal running current,

Sheer exaggerted nonsense, Moses.

Lucia.