Woodfiller for Pine

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by trowlmeister, Aug 13, 2010.

1. trowlmeister

trowlmeister New Member

Hi' I've got some 3" pine newel posts with a couple mortises in each one about 3" long and 4.5cm deep that i need to fill.I'm after a matching pine colour one that sands to a good finish for staining or varnishing afterwards.I've used everbuilds timbermate premium joiners grade one in pine finish before, but wasn't very impressed with results, any ideas? cheers.

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

the best wood filler is the one with a grain lol ;)

2x1 par[assuming less than 22mm]select a section with close grain match
    planed/sanded/run through a table saw till the right size
    you can taper both sides by 1 degree back to front so it gets very tight at the front

big all

3. saddle joint

saddle joint New Member

Big All's correct. However what I've done in the past is to make a paste-filler up from sawdust and glue and build the filling up in layers.

The mistake a lot of people make is in trying to fill too large a void and then watch the filler deform or fall out.

Use sawdust and patience.

4. MechEng

MechEng New Member

Big holes + Filler + Stain finish just don't work. It's fine if you can 'gloss over' the bodging, but you really need to let in a new piece of timber for this to look any good.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Find a thinner piece of off-cut pine(say for your situation 100mm(long) x 25mm(wide) x 10mm(thick).

Mark round it on the post(to cover old mortise hole) with knife, chisel it out(to about 8mm). Glue and whack it in with other flat piece of wood. Allow to dry, and plane/sand to finish.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. flyingscotsman

flyingscotsman New Member

Well at least two of us can see your reply Biggsy. ;)

7. big all

big all Screwfix Select

:D:D:D ;)

big all