Chisels

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Craig Wightman, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Craig Wightman

Craig Wightman New Member

Hi Guys,

In need of a new chisel set......

can anyone recommend which is better between the marples 6 piece and the stanley fat max???

all the sizes are the same its just the quality i'm questioning about???

i know marples have been the name for years however i am hearing good things about the fat max set.

Any personal opinions?

Craig

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Marples are better

3. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

I am with goldenboy and think that the marples are more comfortable to use and I prefer the feel of hitting a handle rather than a through tang.

I have never split a marples handle, even on my 'retired' best chisels that now get used for rough work, even in masonry with a lump hammer!

I ran this screwfix chisel comparison screen here, just to see what the specs were...

Marples worth the extra fiver, I think.

4. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

Actually looking at the sets again. The Fat max sizes are more useful as it includes the 1.25 inch.

Whereas the marples set does double up a little, with the 1/4, 3/8, and the 1/2 inch being all close together.

5. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

Have used Marples for years and found them to be good quality and ideal for general use. Also have a set of Bahco chisels that I bought 20 years ago for bench work that are probably the best I,ve ever used. Handles not suitable for use with a hammer though.

6. saddle joint

saddle joint New Member

Both manufacturers use good quality steel, both keep an edge but someone mentioned Bahco and they are good. It's the tang thing, that's what it boils down to.

7. busy builder

busy builder New Member

8. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

all the sizes are the same its just the quality i'm
    questioning about???

The widths may be the same but those Fatmax things are very short compared to a Marples.

9. Legend

Legend New Member

Wouldn't go for either. The steel and handles are far superior on the Bhaco sets. Really comfortable and keep a good edge for a good while. The shatter proof handle set is no more expensive than the Marples but double the quality.

10. Craig Wightman

Craig Wightman New Member

Thanks chaps......

sorry for the lack of responce but have been away.

The Bahco set does look apealing, the one with the honing guide and diamond looks like a lovely set. Only thing is the cheapest set is around £60 from a fmous auction site. are they worth the extra money above the marples set. i would imagine the diamond and guide alone are worth the difference.

Craig

11. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

Bahco with out a doubt are worth the money. Invest in a japanese water stone for final honing, You,ll get an edge like no other.

12. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Not sure with the Bahco to be honest, seen a lot of promotional cheap offers about on other bahco gear to make me think they may have had a big move to the far east. Marples for me, I have a set of Stanleys for rough work and a set of boxed marples for fine stuff