need a good alarm system advice guys

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by normski, Sep 14, 2010.

1. normski

normski New Member

im after a good quality hard wired alarm system for my new house..one with a keypad good quality pir,s bellbox etc what you guys normally use cheers..+ plus do you just pretty much use pir,s in all rooms these days are vibration sensors etc still used ? + going to use a pir at front door i think as there is glass panels either side of the door just in case i got broke into through 1 of these panels..cheers again guys

2. ohms law

ohms law New Member

Texecom, Risco systems, Honeywell - all good brands but you might struggle to get them from any reputable dealer without showing that you are an alarm engineer.

3. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

Texecom equipment is reasonable quality, reliable and well priced.

I have fitted many R8 panels and they really are excellent panels for the money.

They also make PIRs and sounders etc.

Planning is important, plan to fit magnetic contacts on external doors as well as PIRs, PIRs are very cheap these days.

I have never been a fan of vibration detectors, advocates will tell you that they will trigger the alarm before an intruder enters but they can be prone to false alarms due to upvc windows expanding in sunlight.

4. MechEng

MechEng New Member

dealer without showing that you are an alarm engineer.

Mate, I could do with picking up a couple of systems so I can reverse engineer them and work out how to break into some poor * house, can you let me know where I can get my official 'I'm an alarm engineers badge' so I can fool the * at the counter? Cheers.

[Edited by: admin]

5. ohms law

ohms law New Member

I would like to be able to say that you need to be qualified to install the systems but the truth is anybody that can set up a business with a couple of references than can be checked would get away with it! You wouldn't find it too hard...

6. audievo

audievo New Member

Hmmm, engineers only :)
    Just google what you want go to the site and put it in you basket.
    Also i think most independent suppliers will just sell you anything you want.
    I know a couple of smaller electrical/alarm wholesalers who will virtually design a system for you if you buy the kit off them.
    People can't afford to turn money away these days.
    :)

7. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

:)

Absolutely!

I was fitting alarms full time up until about 8 years ago and even then it was very easy to buy alarm equipment even from the likes of Gardiner Security.

8. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

9. oscar21

oscar21 New Member

Premier 24/48

my only panel of choice now.

10. Badger001

Badger001 New Member

i recommend and will generally only install a honeywell galaxy system or texecom veritas r8 dependant on type of customer,

11. normski

normski New Member

yeah cheers..been looking at the honeywell accenta panels/keypad in the electrafix mag..seem decent priced and to be honest dont have alot of time to shop about as my new house is empty whilst doing works and need security asap tbh..what is the reason you would use contacts on doors,french doors etc if the same room is protected by a pir ? you saying they can be unreliable or just protect the entrances with both ? the standard pir they sell is approx £11 but the microwave/pet friendly ones are £15/20 ?? is it worth paying the extra for the additional features cheers again guys

12. oscar21

oscar21 New Member

I cant stress enough, dont get an accenta one, not the LED one anyway, the G4 LCD seem a slight step up.

If you wont go for a semi pro one get a veritas R8.

13. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

Contacts on external doors are good because they warn you that you have left a door open as you set the system.

They also allow you to use the chime facility (a low level "bin bong" that will sound when a door is opened even if the system is unset).

Personally I would use Microwave/PIR combined given the small difference in price. They are less prone to false alarms than a standard PIR even though PIRs are generally pretty reliable these days.

14. audievo

audievo New Member

15. normski

normski New Member

yeah ok it looks like i will steer clear of the accentia range..and will look at these semi pro veritas r8 alarm systems ? can you guys tell me where i can obtain veritas gear from online ? need panel + keypad siren/bellbox 4 good quality pir,s contacts and probably putting a speech dialler in also..as work away sometimes and would like the facility of a mate(local bouncer lol) to be alerted and on hand to respond to any activations whilst away..anything else to think of whilst designing my alarm system for maximum security ? anyone still use panic alarms internal sounders pressure mats etc ? like the mentioned pir + dog barking kit that also brings the local light on slighty after activation..especially on the rear patio/french doors dining room etc..cheeers once again guys good advice tips etc

16. coltleader

coltleader New Member

Were you able to choose a system? I am looking for a home alarm because of some recent crime in my neighborhood. Do you have any advice? I have heard of ADT. Do you know anything about their home security systems? I really want something that will let me know if someone enters my home. Thanks for the advice!

17. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Really?

18. coltleader

coltleader New Member

Guess that is pretty obvious, isn't it? :)

19. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

20. bluevelvet

bluevelvet New Member

If you want to know if the house is entered when your`e not there,.Then add a speech dialer to the system and it will ring you to let you know.
    Although not much use if your`e a hundred miles away