damage to electric supply

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by nevano, Sep 16, 2010.

1. nevano

nevano New Member

Hello all

I have a mid terrace property and wish to dig up the small front garden and lay tarmac to allow my car on. the house was built in 1904.

I mentioned to my neighbour about what i wished to do and he says that if the electric cable gets damaged in the garden it will also damage the supply to his house and has requested that i dont do it...

my question is, do the supply cables all run together from house to house under the front windows or would they run level with the pavement and be split so each house has its own feed running to it (in effect how cable do it)

Also if the cable does get damaged how much is the supplier likely to charge for a repair

I need to know where i stand before i go ahead with this

many thanks

2. Hung like a donkey

Hung like a donkey New Member

Contact your supplier and they will come out and trace the cable under your drive. You will also have to miss gas, telecom, drains, water pipe, cable tv etc etc etc etc etc etc

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I don't think you're allowed to do that any more, the surface has to be water permeable I think.

4. audievo

audievo New Member

"If"
    You can't live your life governed by, what if, or just incase, ***,
    What if he looses control of his car and crashes into your house?
    You may "prefer" he doesn't buy a car, " just in case"
    If you want to do it and it is allowed (you may need pp, not sure these days) then do it, take reasonable care and "if" you do some damage, well cross that bridge etc.

5. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

how do you plan on digging out your garden.....

by hand, then dont even worry about it.

by digger, get someone in that knows what there doing.

6. N. Green

N. Green New Member

Probably runs under the pavement and T'd off to each property anyway.

7. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

nevano, hello, can trace all your services with a cat and genny also all suppliers will send drawings on request, as said prevesly if you intend digging by hand no problems as this is requested in suppliers literature when excavating near there plant also tarmac only req 3"thick with sub and concrete 4" for domestic traffic you may not need to remove much if you check you levels but if you req to drop the curbs you need to inform the council and will req a ticket to do this bit

8. chappers

chappers Member

oh and tell your neighbour to keep his beak out.

9. farmacist

farmacist New Member

permiable tarmac now, let the water drain through it