Removal of plaster stains from unsealed oak staircase.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by lesley58, Oct 14, 2010.

1. lesley58

lesley58 New Member

Hi
    I wonder if anyone can help? I have had an oak staircase fitted, some plastering was required which the joiner did without covering the new wood. I now have big black marks/plaster stains on unsealed wood. Is it a difficult process to remove it? Presumably a good French Polisher would be my best bet I am very nervous about this joiner doing much more to my staircase to be honest.

2. Oakey Doke

Oakey Doke New Member

absolutley anythin will stin unsealed oak if left just sittin on itthe best way to get rid wld be to scrape the top layer off ok!

3. real joiner

real joiner New Member

Try a cabinet scraper, or the old fashioned alternative is carefully break some glass, the thicker the better and find a nice shaped piece to use, put on some gloves though.

4. lesley58

lesley58 New Member

Thankyou for your replies I was worried that I wouldnt be able to remove it!

5. Oakey Doke

Oakey Doke New Member

no problem i may only be 22 but i no alot lol !

6. Unit 1

Unit 1 Member

Your welcome Lesley58, I would just say though, that usually each trade should protect and or cover everything in their work area that might be affected by their work, so watch your plasterer aswell! they are notorious for making a mess lol. And as an after thought, if your plasterer is a reputable one he or she should have liability cover should the staining not come out. Might be worth going down that route first before tackling the problem yourself.

7. lesley58

lesley58 New Member

The plastering was done by the joiner!. My thoughts exactly about protecting the surfaces. I couldnt believe he hadn't used masking tape and protected the main staircase. I'm getting a polisher in to see if the damage is salvageable.

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Big problem to remove, oak reacts badly to all kinds of substances, wouldnt suggest sanding or scraping yet as depending on how open the grain is, how long plaster/water was left to stand and where the stains are ie has it run into joints or sat on flat surfaces, the staining could be quite deep, tannic acid in oak makes it very vulnerable to staining. Suggest you get your joiner in and impress upon him that it is his problem to pay for it to be sorted out. Shocking to not sheet up, thats rogue traders. You can bleach certain timbers but that is an experts dept not mine. Do not let your joiner loose with a sander as if he is not aware of water and plaster staining raw oak he is hardly likely to know how to sort it out

9. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

Oxalic Acid crystals should bleach it out.

I like to give anything due to be varnished a coat of sanding sealer as soon as it arrives on site; saves an awful lot of problems.

10. lesley58

lesley58 New Member

Thankyou again. I think the problem here is using young unsupervised apprentices.( The prices dont reflect that though!!) They have been back as they have other work to do and sanded a bit of the staining off. There are still areas of the dark staining though. I am getting a polisher in today to give advice on the rest. It certainly takes the enjoyment out of having something new, and a sad sign of the times that pride in a job seems to take a back seat. Thankfully I havn't paid yet.

11. Unit 1

Unit 1 Member

If you have'nt paid yet, you would be within your rights to ask for a reduced price to reflect the cost of repair, but if they insist on the full price I would insist on the damaged items being replaced. you're right about pride taking a back seat, partly due to contractors dishing work out on price where the only thoughts on a tradesmans mind is how much they are earning, and relying on the following trades to cover their work a lot of the time. I think you made a big mistake if you got an apprentice to work with an expensive piece of hardwood joinery. As I have said to clients who in the past have told me they have had a much cheaper quote than mine, there is usually a good reason for that.

12. saddle joint

saddle joint New Member

I can only echo what Unit says. Cheap work is cheap for a reason.

13. lesley58

lesley58 New Member

This wasnt a cheap job unfortunately. Ive always respected a trade and have been prepared to pay a good price for a good job. It doesnt seem to work like that anymore.

14. MRT Joinery

MRT Joinery New Member

o dear another case of rogue traders is it a solid oak staircase or veneered oak staircase guessing its solid???