Should Circular Saw Have Burst into Flame?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Davie, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Davie

Davie Active Member

I was using my B&D 1000w circular saw to make a 2" deep cut along the length of a 2.5m fence post. It struggled so I reduced the cut to 1" and went slowly - still struggled a bit then burst into flames. Motor commutator wrecked. No internal fan.

I was using a sharp TCT general-purpose blade. The cut was not closing up and besides the saw has a scarf? blade. Maybe I should have invested in a ripping blade.

Was I asking too much?

So its to Screwfix and looking at a Erbauer or Dewalt or Bosch professional in the hope that they should cope. Budget about £50 but willing to go to £99 if thats what I need. Most of my DIY work is with large-section outdoor timber.
    thanks in advance, DAvy

2. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

Don't buy Erubaur, cheap Chinese ****. You wont get a good professional quality tool for £50-£100. Spend a bit more and get the Bosch or Dewalt. More expensive but both are quality tools that will last the DIYer a lifetime.

3. timber ninja

timber ninja Member

buy a makita, or i will spread mean rumours about you.

or just buy a makita because they are awesome :)

should be about £120-£140

or splash a little more and get one that can cut deep, real deep

4. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

B&D is a pile of rubbish. Get Makita if you are a pro.

5. You should use a coarse ripping blade especially as it sounds like you where cutting "green" timber.

A GP blade does not have a big enough kerf or a big enough throat on the blade. As a result the motor will struggle to keep the blade going through the timber as it is choking.:(

6. MRT Joinery

MRT Joinery New Member

yeah definatly makita all my power tools are makita and never had any trouble just keep going and going no matter what job