breeze blocks

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by drillerdiy, Oct 29, 2010.

1. drillerdiy

drillerdiy New Member

what type of screw fasteners do I use to fasten ladder brackets to breeze blocks...thanx

2. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

Put 'Masonry Screw' in 'search for', select suitable size!

3. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Just be grateful you aint got Thermalite block! :(

4. drillerdiy

drillerdiy New Member

thanx a lot, much appreciated.

5. Grampa

Grampa New Member

Are you sure you actually have BREEZE blocks?. I am old enough to remember coke breeze blocks being used just after World War 2, presumably made frome coke waste from gasworks.
    As far as I know, there are no actual breeze blocks being made now --- No gasworks!
    Fixing to them safely is practically impossible. If you have concrete blocks, well that's another matter.
    If you really do have breeze blocks, there is only one solution. EMIGRATE.

6. drillerdiy

drillerdiy New Member

emigrate ???? out of the money I get selling the breeze blocks?

7. larnacaman

larnacaman New Member

Yeah, i remember those Breeze Blocks. They used them in council housing throughout the length and breath of the UK, up until the middle 50's and beyond.

Can't say that i found any problems getting fixings in them though!!! When you think of it, Nor did the plumbers in there day either, considering those heavy cast iron toilet flushes that hung half way up the wall, or the old butler sinks and bathroom sinks.... In fact everything that hung on the those breeze block walls.

I'd rather a wall made from those old breeze blocks than the modern plasterboard equivalent, that's for sure!!

8. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

Just be grateful you aint got Thermalite block! :(

breeze blocks are thermalite sine, colloquial terms. have heard of cinder blocks , think thats whats being referred to re the gasworks, cinders mixed with cement

9. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

10. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

I used to love the fact that lightweight blocks (state of the art tech) needed 'cut' nails (good old fashioned tech)to hold skirtings on.
    :)

11. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

Cut nails, thats a real
    blast from the past. When I was an apprentice we used them for fixing door frames etc. Great for skirtings as you didn't need to dook the wall for grounds.

Cant remember the last time I cut a dook.

12. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

I know! I think they were 2 and a half or 3 inch cut nails.

You needed a lump hammer to get them in but by god I wouldn't want to take any off!!

I guess I just got fed up of trying to get plugs and screws to hold. Of course there are all sorts of fasteners these days.

13. Doonhamer Dan

Doonhamer Dan New Member

As said before, breeze blocks is a term used by many for all blockwork, mostly by those not in the trade.For a brickie Thermalite and similar are the best blocks to build, but for getting a fixing they're on a par with plasterboard, total *****.

14. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

I used to like blocks which were light but good to fix to and heavy enough to get a biggish wall up without it blowing over in a breeze (excuse the pun).

Made with fancy expanded clay aggregates etc.

15. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

the blocks you show sine are concrete , i have always heard of breeze as thermalite blocks, as you say * to fix too !

[Edited by: admin]