Jury Duty

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by lorntec, Nov 2, 2010.

1. lorntec

lorntec New Member

I have recently received a letter for jury duty. I am a contracting electrician working offshore, 2 weeks away 2 at home. Dose anybody have any idea of getting off jury duty.
    If i miss my 2 week trip offshore in theory i could be of for 6 weeks without pay.

2. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Dose anybody have any idea of getting off jury duty.
    ---------------------
    Dieing, otherwise not much chance so i've heard!

3. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

That's not true Seneca - although most people believe that there's no way out.

All you have to do is return the form and attach a polite note declaring your willingness and eagerness to do your civic duty - but asking respectfully, not to be included on a case where there's any suggestion by the defence, of police brutality or corruption - because you're well aware that the police have a bad reputation and that you might not be able to be impartial in such a case.

Shortly afterwards you'll receive a polite letter saying that you're no longer required for jury service - and they won't trouble you ever again.

Lucia.

4. lamps

lamps New Member

get a criminal record

5. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

No thanks, I already have one......

6. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

Summer Holiday by Cliff Richard, remixed.

7. lamps

lamps New Member

what for impersonating a lady :)

8. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

No, not exactly.....

1981: "Assulting a police officer in the execution of his duty". Pleaded 'Not Guilty'. Case proved - Conditional discharge and £ 40.00 fine.

1982: "Failure to pay a fine imposed by Berkshire Magistrates' Court". Pleaded 'Guilty'. Case proved - 1 year probation order and £100.00 fine.

1982: "Failure to pay Magistrates' fine and physical assault on a Court appointed baliff". Pleaded 'Not Guilty'. Case proved - Sentenced to 14 days in prison.

1983: "Drunk and disorderly". Pleaded 'Not Guilty'. Case dismissed due to lack of evidence.

1985: "Aggravated assault whilst under the influence of alcohol". Pleaded 'Not Guilty due to diminished responsibility"......

Guess what?

Lucia.

9. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Done it a few years ago and got called again last year.

Wrote a letter back stating Wifey still on maternity leave and I was the only bread winner juggling a small business with others livelihoods at stake should I have my 'eye' forced off the ball etc etc, so could they leave me be ta?

Got a letter back two weeks later saying 'go on then!'

10. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Fibber ^

11. snezza30

snezza30 Member

Lorntec,I recieved a summons for jury duty about 3 months ago.
    I wrote back to them stating I was self employed and that under the current economic downturn, I would suffer "severe financial hardship" and so could i be excused.
    They wrote back within 7 days saying that i was excused!

Result!!!!!

It may have been the fact that i am self employed that did it(loss of earnings etc).
    I believe employed people still get paid for jury service from what i have been told.

They said i would only get Rail travel expenses and about £30 a day!!!!!!!!

I would have suggested they "just hang him" and gone back to work the next day.

Snezza.

12. fooman

fooman New Member

if you read the information sent you will see anyone can be excused first time around for things like booked holidays etc etc.

But if you are asked again and a holiday is booked then its tough.

13. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Fibber ^

No, straight up Looche, stand on me etc etc etc!

14. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

Write back to them asking for a booking which won't clash with your regular BNP party meetings, that should do it.

15. fooman

fooman New Member

some people cannot lay straight in bed :^O

16. wally2

wally2 New Member

I got out of mine about 20 odd years ago. I mentioned that I was the only bread winner & that I was self employed. Con't quite remember what I said, probally something like it would hold up other trades if I was to be off or it maybe that I mentioned that work was slow & just got a job which I would loose if I went on jury duty. Cant quite remember, long time ago but they did excuse me. I don't reckon I will get called again as i will be 65 next year or perhaps there is not an age limit, dont know.

17. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

Tell them you're fogged on and the rig medic has diagnosed you as having tourettes. (put a few expletives in the letter as evidence)

18. in and out

in and out New Member

Jury Duty
    Posted: Nov 2, 2010 4:08 PM Reply

I have recently received a letter for jury duty. I am a contracting electrician working offshore, 2 weeks away 2 at home. Dose anybody have any idea of getting off jury duty.
    If i miss my 2 week trip offshore in theory i could be of for 6 weeks without pay
    Easy just say you are a complete pixx-head!
    You cannot make a decent reputable decision!

19. oscar21

oscar21 New Member

I did it about 5 years ago, did the best part of two weeks, didn't bother turning up for the last few days. Fast forward to earlier this year and I got called again.
    I turned up on the Monday, asked if there was any chance of getting it put back a few weeks as I had just got a bit of work for the first time in ages :), and by 10 o'clock I was on the train home. And I quote the clerk, "we always ask too many people to come in anyway, lets see how many bother turning up". Furthermore they didn't want me back at all.

I think it always helps if you find yourself in court for whatever reason to have a copy of the Daily Mail on show.

PS who ever thinks that jury service is an adventure, its not, it basically 2 weeks stuck in a boring waiting room watching Richard and Judy and eating **** food. Maybe, just maybe you will get on a case and within 5 minutes will be cursing all that is wrong with this country.

20. jumboscruit

jumboscruit New Member

You can apply to have your jury service deferred for a year, I believe, if getting called would mean hardship or inconvenience, but you will have to do it eventually.

Once you have done a stint, even if you don't get put on a jury, you can be excused if you are called within the next two years.

The cut-off age is now 70. Just about anybody can be called to do jury service, even a high court judge they tell me. There was a time when there were loads of occupations that would get you off doing it, such as serving police officers or anybody in the legal field, but they changed the rules a few years ago.

There aren't many reason for not being called, being "inside" is quite a good one though!

Js.