How to get on the ladder

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Chipwright, Nov 3, 2010.

1. chippie239

chippie239 New Member

I think the O.P would of been on a construction Award or Diploma C+J. The City and Guilds courses are out now, but the foundation (level 1) courses are all the same sort of content, wether it be NVQ/C+G or the new Diploma courses.
    Course content typicaly consists of core theory units, (ie timber technology, health and safety ect.) The practical units are usualy workshop based and focus on subjects such has sharpening tools, forming basic woodworking joints and some training on machines. Mainly handtool work though.
    I did mine around about 8 years ago and cant really see much has changed since then.

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Got a little bit of time so here goes a list of kit to start with for a motorless starter looking to a get a bit of experience. Firstly if you really want to learn, go and work for all your friends and family for peanuts for a couple od years at weekends etc. Most of us did it to get confidence, despite college or apprenticeships the only way to learn is to do it and most employers will just have you loading vans and taking off the back of saws.

Kit for shanks pony

Good quality tape measure 5m or longer
    Pencils
    Combination square
    600mm level
    Good quality hardpoint saw
    6/12/18/25 chisels
    Block plane
    Sanding Block
    Set of good quality screwdrivers
    Hammer
    Utility Bar
    Nail Punch
    Stanley Knife
    Hacksaw
    File
    Filling Knife
    Oilstone
    Adjustable Spanner
    Pliers
    Set of Flat Bits
    Set of Drill Bits(Bosch Multi-Construction)
    2 Solo Clamps
    Mitre Block

Power Tools
    Good Quality Cordless Drill with the multi construction bits you will be able to drill for brown and red plugs easily even without hammer. Bosch Blue my vote
    Good Quality Planer Bosch Blue again
    Good Quality Jigsaw Bosch Blue again

You should be able to get the hand kit for £100 perhaps, buy the best you can. Power tools maybe £300 for Bosch Blue, however our hosts used to sell Site power tools they were good for a budget deal as essentially they were Makita, Freud are also good for a shoestring. Sparky gear looks pretty robust. I wouldnt have any of them in my workshop except the Bosch Blue but then again i am not starting out! I think that will cover you for the bread and butter work for friend and family, doors, skirting, architraves, locks, floors, shelving, cupboards, kitchens(cept the tops/cornice).

3. chippie239

chippie239 New Member

I think the O.P owes Golden a very big thankyou. Excellent source of start up info, well done!!
    You cant go far wrong with that!

4. chippie239

chippie239 New Member

Just thought Id say as well to Ninja Man!!, Very Good Start up info. This guy owes you and Golden a couple of beers or a very good thankyou response.
    Damo

5. Chipwright

Chipwright Member

fitting floor joists with square housing using joist brackets and housing joints and covering with various types of flooring like boards and t&g panels.

all these finished to within 1mm to acheive pass and some things like sinking butts and machine work to zero tolerance. Followed by a complete writeup of method statement and health and safety and such.

no sitting in the classroom and getting the breakdown we just had to ask when we got stuck

How does it compare to you guys's idea of a city and guilds lvl1? would love to know

6. chippie239

chippie239 New Member

Wow!! so in other words you had to fit a couple of joists and a few floorboards, thats really hard what you had to do in your class efrikin, you must be a top joiner. We only had to hand cut a load of framework incorporating just about every type of woodworking joint available to 1mm tol. Then do all the same again by machine plus make door, window chest of drawers (hand cut dovetails)and build a new stage for the college.

7. Chipwright

Chipwright Member

fitting a truss roof with acess and then the floor

but bru why the attitude? first u say how level one gets u nothing then its how yours covered everthing known to wrightkind? if ur only here to give me stick then go urinate somewhere else. I'm here for advice not to compare the size of my ruler

8. Chipwright

Chipwright Member

AAAGGHHH it keepYES! truly a massive thank you to both Goldenboy and the Ninja. Also the others it seems less daunting the way you put it .
    I spent an hour last nigth drafting a breakdown of what really happened in my course but somehow it didnt post.

Basicaly the course was intensive from 8am to 4:30pm for six weeks instead of once a week for a year hence no work placement like with a college.
    for a few days it was sawing straight and making very basic joints. Then

9. Chipwright

Chipwright Member

making a stick with various mortices using all machines :planer, mortice - chop circular and table saw

10. Chipwright

Chipwright Member

fitting floor joists

there I was detirmined to get that in .Again a big thank you to those with usefull things to say apologies that it didnt seem I was thanking u before posting again that bit just gotcut off

11. Chipwright

Chipwright Member

aaaaaaaaaaaaaggghhhhhhhhh
    this forum is driving mre nuts ive posted the stuff ten times and it just keeps randomly cutting things out! somewhere in there was skirtings door linings windows hand cut roof and truss roof but it posts random smileys and the end of stuff . I really look like Im on drugs with an attiude. cant delete the half posts either.blood and hell I'm annoyed!

12. Chipwright

Chipwright Member

fitting floor joists with square housing using joist brackets and housing joints and covering with various types of flooring like boards and t&g panels.

all these finished to within 1mm to acheive pass and some things like sinking butts and machine work to zero tolerance. Followed by a complete writeup of method statement and health and safety and such.

no sitting in the classroom and getting the breakdown we just had to ask when we got stuck

How does it compare to you guys's idea of a city and guilds lvl1? would love to know

13. Chipwright

Chipwright Member

DEAR MODERATORS DONT KNOW HOW TO CONTACT U SO I@M TEMPD TO SWEAR PROFUSELY TO GET UR ATTENTION! CAN U PEASE DELETE EVERYTING IVE POSTED INCLUDING AND SINCE NOV 10 4:54pm? I look weird. also how come goldenboys long post shows up fine but mine only shows the last 5 or 6 lines?. please do this andi can try again

14. chippie239

chippie239 New Member

W.T.F mate!! Firstly that response was not for you, secondly all Ive done is try and give you advice on how to start up a career in Joinery. Youve had a lot of info on here, and for you to insult me in this way in return for help, your an absolute disgrace.
    I would try and get your posting deleted, because you sound like an absolute *.
    Beleive me sunshine, you will never get anywhere in this life with that attitude!!

[Edited by: admin]

15. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Someone is not the smartest "chippie" off the old block are they? ;)

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Saffa, some puctuation activates short cuts in the code and causes posts to come out wrong.
    I started out as a chippie with a bike, a jigsaw, a sander and a drill.
    Be humble.

17. Chipwright

Chipwright Member

chippie239

Re: How to get on the ladder
    Posted: Nov 9, 2010 11:00 PM Reply

I think the O.P would of been on a construction Award or Diploma C+J. The City and Guilds courses are out now, but the foundation (level 1) courses are all the same sort of content, wether it be NVQ/C+G or the new Diploma courses.
    Course content typicaly consists of core theory units, (ie timber technology, health and safety ect.) The practical units are usualy workshop based and focus on subjects such has sharpening tools, forming basic woodworking joints and some training on machines. Mainly handtool work though.
    I did mine around about 8 years ago and cant really see much has changed since then.

chippie239

Re: How to get on the ladder
    Posted: Nov 10, 2010 6:23 PM Reply

<u>Wow!! so in other words you had to fit a couple of joists and a few floorboards, thats really hard what you had to do in your class efrikin, you must be a top joiner.</u> We only had to hand cut a load of framework incorporating just about every type of woodworking joint available to 1mm tol. Then do all the same again by machine plus make door, window chest of drawers (hand cut dovetails)and build a new stage for the college.

18. Chipwright

Chipwright Member

hey chippie 239, dont act thick man. <u>YOU</u> said level one is all theory and intro to machines u did urs 8 years ao must be the same. then<u>YOU</u> got really sarcastic "<u>Wow!! so in other words you had to fit a couple of joists and a few floorboards, thats really hard what you had to do in your class efrikin, you must be a top joiner"</u> then YOU said how your level one was so great. dont act like I've got to thank you for contradicting yourself and being condecending. I have been thanking those poeple whos advice I've been gratefull for. And thats after I've explained 80% of the post was missing.

19. Chipwright

Chipwright Member

Now, chippie 224. THANK YOU. some poeople have been funny and I wont stand for that but please read from the top and ull see what I've been getting at. A lot of posts said I <u>must</u> have a van ( I know I need tools) but thats what Ive been asking, how others got a shot being humble whilst just starting out as a chippie with little tools and no van. See, you did it its possible.thats all I've been asking .And for the other helpfulls at the risk of repeating myself I was trying to post what my course covered and all that came pout was the 1mill tolerance making me look.. well you saw it. If I've offended anyone other than 239 my appologies. combination of misunderstanding and bad luck.im gonna try and post my original again

20. Chipwright

Chipwright Member

this is in answer to the question posted by the super helpfull mr Ninja.YES! truly a massive thank you to both Goldenboy and the Ninja. Also the others it seems less daunting the way you put it .
    I spent an hour last nigth drafting a breakdown of what really happened in my course but somehow it didnt post.

Basicaly the course was intensive from 8am to 5pm for six weeks instead of once a week for a year hence no work placement like with a college.
    for a few days it was sawing straight and making very basic joints. Then

1 making a mitre box
    2practicing skirting and scribing round a small jig with all the funny angles
    3 skirting round a big wooden jig
    4 constructing a door lining and fitting it into a deliberately wonky stud frame (non standard size to force resizing of the door)
    5planing and hanging the door plus fitting mortice lock etc
    6making a stick with various mortices using all machines :planer, mortice - chop circular and table saw

7making a casement window with all sorts of funny angles rebates and champfers , first hand tools only then another using machines
    8 setting out, cutting and fitting a pair of common rafters at a randomly determined pitch to understasnd the angles in hand cut roofs
    10 fixing and stabilising a set 8 of trussed rafters and constructing access hatch
    11 fitting floor joists with square housing using joist brackets and housing joints and covering with various types of flooring like boards and t&g panels.

How does it compare to you guys's idea of a city and guilds lvl1? would love to know.