downlighters

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by richy17045, Nov 6, 2010.

1. richy17045

richy17045 New Member

I have built a single storey extension on the back of house the roof has breathable felt in the kitchen i have 18 downlighters in the ceiling.The issue i have is that there is a draft coming through the lights the insulation is 300mm clear of the lights would fire hoods help me here or any other suggestions...

2. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Firehoods would block the draught or you could make-up some 10 inch square plasterboard boxes to fit over them, (assuming you can get into the roofspace.) Why didn't you fit fire rated lamps, they are sealed so draught doesn't get past them.

3. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Put up with the draught, it'll make your lamps last longer and keep your roof timbers rot-free.

18 downlighters indeed! Not much of a planet-saver, are you?

Lucia.

4. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

I reckon it must be a nice warm draught Lucia with 900 watts of light/heat to get past!

5. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Quite so, Sen. But draughts, like rust, never sleep.

I don't expect those lights are on 24/7 - so it must be a bit chilly during daylight hours. That's part of the price to pay for installing these wasteful, inefficient and beastly fittings.........

The retro-fitting of smoke hoods will only shorten the life of the lamps and do very little to arrest the draught problem.

Lucia.

6. Yours truly

Yours truly New Member

you seem to be using a lot of 'police-cey' terms in your postings this afternoon Mr Lou.

7. wally2

wally2 New Member

Certainly will make the lamps last longer. There is the advantage that when the lamps are on it will at least be a warm draught.

8. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

It's a nice theory, this 'warm draught' thing, but it actually defies the laws of physics: There wouldn't and couln't be a cold down-draught through a 'hot' fitting because the airflow would be reversed upwards.

The draught can only exist when the lights are 'off'......

Lucia.

9. wally2

wally2 New Member

Why didn't I think of that.

10. CBR

CBR New Member

Lucia.

Unlike an air curtain then?

Andy

11. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

An air curtain has a fan-driven warm airflow designed to compensate for the cold rush from an open doorway. It does not of itself create a cold draught when not switched on....

Any more clever ideas?

Lucia.

12. larnacaman

larnacaman New Member

How about, ......Underfloor heating for the Upper floor then??