fixing timber stud to uneven stone wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by brokenman, Nov 9, 2010.

1. brokenman

brokenman New Member

Hi there - I need to frame up a timber joining section between two stone buildings.
    Where the timber walls meet the stone ones the stone work is very uneven.
    what would be the best way to fix the timber uprights to the stone wall and get a good seal/bearing surface? As regards fixings I plan to use multimonti or resin bolts the bit I am flumoxed with is how to handle the unevenness of the wall and still get the timber bolted securely to it. The stone is granite so grinding/cutting it down is not an attractive option :)

Thanks in advance

Regards
    Rob

2. ceg999

ceg999 Member

Dob a thick mortar bed where the timber(s) are to go. While it is still wet press your timber into it using a level. Take the timber away. When the mortar is firm clean the edges up. When it has cured fully, drill through the bed into the stone.

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I presume this is going to be seen? If so then scribe it to the uneven surface, hard work but it how it used to be done,and done right it will look the nuts. you may need a wider section to do it. If its going to be covered then use packers or timber section to bring it to plumb, or use the other suggestion

4. flyingscotsman

flyingscotsman New Member

Have you considered getting a chippy in, that way you know it will be done properly. :)

5. brokenman

brokenman New Member

Thanks for all the advice - The studs will not be visible so will be going with a mortar bed to set the studs into. Was thinking along those lines myself but good to have someone confirm it's a good way to go.