duff flood/PIR

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by handychap, Nov 11, 2003.

1. handychap

handychap New Member

Anyone help? Flood/PIR was in good order until recently.
    About two years old now, problem is it stays on all the time. I suspect it is the PIR, which does look a little "cloudy", possibly water ingress? Priced up a new PIR (£14.95) but I can get a new complete one for £17.95, or is there anyway I can get in it to clean it?

2. Urgh... don't suppose anyone can help unless they know the type of model you have and exactly what the problem is.

Probably just easier mind if you buy a new one.

3. chtechie

chtechie Member

I've bought several from FOCUS normally about £7 yes that's right 500w with PIR for £7 not had one fail yet and been using them for 5 or 6 years.

Regards,

David.
    <u>____</u>

4. supersparky

supersparky New Member

not worth attempting, even if you get into it and fix the problem then put the cover back on and it dosent seal properly you could end up having your whole wall live on a wet day, ive experenced it with wet plaster, dont bother, getting a whack aint nice!! ;)

BR

5. newhand

newhand New Member

Thanks to all concerned, I'm off to FOCUS. New name because the kids have been at the keyboard, computer said "ugh ugh!!" couldn't remember my name 6 "stella's" to the good!!

6. WOLF

WOLF New Member

i know this may sound like a daft question guys, but the leccy has not been switched off for a period of time recently has it!! like a night time power cut? the reason i ask is because i have a p.i.r. lamp, that if the power fails (power cut) then the lamp stays on at all times, i have to "RESET" the thing by turning it off, then back on,then off and on again very quickly!!i only found this out when i went to replace the "Broken lamp" and read the de-structions in the spare lamp box..well it was just an idea!!!

7. wowbagger

wowbagger New Member

Just a quick plea: If you do replace it, see if you can manage with less than 500W, and make sure none of the light spills above the horizontal. Research suggests that very bright security lights have the disadvantage of totally destroying your night vision and stop you from having any chance of seeing whoever might be lurking in the shadows. They are also a pain to any neighbours who's windows they shine into. I'll admit to a hidden agenda here -- I'm a keen amateur astronomer who is fed up with light pollution.

8. newhand

newhand New Member

Thanks for the response guys. WOLF, I tried the reseting procedure before I wrote the post, a friend of mine had a similar fault with his PIR, and after a reset it worked, but alas mine, no such luck. WOWBAGGER, no worries on the "Flood effect", it's just used for lighting up the path when you pass it, rather than lighting the whole area, so happy neighbours!!

9. Research suggests that very bright security lights have the disadvantage of totally destroying your night vision and stop you from having any chance of seeing whoever might be lurking in the shadows.

Well, the point of a PIR light is that it is triggered by a visitor, so he/she is illuminated by the light. Yes white light reduces your night vision (I should know, the army taught me) but it is hardly relevant.

RE: The reseting. Could be ya problem. My PIR stays on when it is turned on/off a couple times quickly. To reset it you have to cut the power for a few mins.

10. wowbagger

wowbagger New Member

Of course it's triggered by "visitors" (or cats, etc.), but the point is that the brighter the light, the deeper the shadows appear, and illumination greater than a certain level impairs your ability to detect anything in those shadows.

11. Nigel

Nigel New Member

The light is to aid visitors or to put off thiefs, if you want to detect lurkers in the shadows join the army.

12. wowbagger

wowbagger New Member

I never suggested not having a light (I have one myself), merely that brighter can be counter-productive.

13. wowbagger

wowbagger New Member

14. The light is to aid visitors or to put off thiefs, if you want to detect lurkers in the shadows join the army.

Exactly my point!!

never suggested not having a light (I have one myself), merely that brighter can be counter-productive.

I think he likes his stars a bit too much. Maybe we could all wear NVGs (night vision goggles).

15. newhand

newhand New Member

All very "Illuminating" chaps, let me throw somemore "light" on the situation. After the "flood" of ideas you've posted, I went to FOCUS, which was "sparked" off by CHTECHIE, put it up, it's now "live" and running. After "transforming" my little problem, I'm back down to "earth" in "neutral", waiting for the next "spark" to fly!!!!