Vans

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by in-n-out, Apr 20, 2005.

1. in-n-out

in-n-out New Member

any help would be greatly appreciated here lads.

i am swapping my ford courier for a larger model.
    Have looked at a P ldv 400 tipper and an M transit 190 tipper.
    ldv has a lot less miles and both are the same price.
    Ive only ever driven fords so know nothing of ldvs.
    anybody any ideas of the pros n cons???
    Cheers

2. Boff

Boff New Member

I've never ever been in a comfortable LDV - you always end up with a numb **** if you go for more than a few miles. They never seem powerful enough either. Personally I'd stick to a Transit as you know where you are with them.

3. limestone cowboy

limestone cowboy New Member

I have an L Transit Crewcab Tipper and I'm not impressed.

4. in-n-out

in-n-out New Member

I have an L Transit Crewcab Tipper and I'm not
    impressed.

why not?
    would ideally like a crew cab but the back just aint big enough for materials.

can live with a numb ar~e, but cant live with massive fuel bills n repair costs.

5. limestone cowboy

Transits always seem to hold their value better than LDVs, and I'm not sure why. It may just be snobbery.

As you say, with a crewcab you have less load space. The tipper body on mine is only 8' long but I mostly move spoil or stone so don't need the room, and I try to have most stuff delivered. You can get crewcabs with a 10' body but not as tippers because of the long overhang. The crewcab is the only thing I like about this van and I wouldn't be without it.

What is wrong with it is that it's so underpowered. It is just tolerable empty, but loaded or towing it is embarrassing when cyclists, snails, old gits on zimmer frames etc come up behind you. It may be just mine, and it's very hilly round here, and I tow a digger. Plus I've been spoilt as I've been driving a (very) LWB Sprinter recently, what a beast.

6. in-n-out

in-n-out New Member

i need at least 10' forsleepers and a tool store, so sleepers on the overhang could be a bit iffy with a crew cab.
    would like a merc too, but budget aint up to it this decade!
    off for a test drive asap so will let yall know if i get a sore ****.

7. limestone cowboy

I would definitely try the LDV; street cred isn't everything!

Likewise with Merc.

8. Boff

Boff New Member

We used to have a fleet of 4 new LWB Transits (pickup) and an LDV pickup along with an LDV Cub and used to be up and down to London from Sheffield with a full load every day. The lads who no one liked got the LDV :) You could hit 100 in the Transits quite happily.

Had some old Transits that were **** though as well so you're best off trying for yourself.

9. wild man

wild man New Member

the lastr place that l worked at had ldv vans and they were awful the side doors on the convoy vans fell off after 2 days the coolant leaked on three of the vans and the back doors all jambed closed we had to return the whole fleet of 18 vans to the factory in brum leving us with a fleet of hire vans to pay for not impressed

10. in-n-out

in-n-out New Member

have bought an ldv crew cab after lots of ummin n rrrin.
    it drives well enough, plenty of power but the seats arent the comfiest and driving position is weird.
    cheers for all the help lads.

11. I just got myself a used LDV pilot

Quite chuffed with it.

Peuguot 1.9 diesel, slightly under powered, but with regular oil changes/servicing will be good for 150 - 200K, does the job for me.

Would have liked something newer but time/finances tight

Like the driving position, seats OK, I can get most things in the back, including 3mn worktops - though they are over the front seats