installing GCH

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by jfk, Nov 18, 2003.

1. jfk

jfk New Member

Dear wise men,
    I have been fortunate to acquire a lovely house arranged as two flats - something I really liked. However, my challenge is that the current heating system is an old oil boiler providing hot water and Central heating (via radiators) to both flats. It would appear that I do not have gas coming into the building. I would very much like to have gas central heating(GCH), separate supplies, to both flats. Can anyone advise me step by step on the cheapest and legal way to do this? All contributions would be greatly appreciated.
    J

Attached Files:

2. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

It is common knowledge that belching, breaking wind and ball scratching is the doamin of the plumbers but when good sound advice is needed you knock on the door of the professionals. Good move!

The gas supply may not be at the property because there isn't one in the street. Ask the neighbours first.
    If they have a supply then decide on a supplier and give them a call and arrange to meet the inspector who will identify exactly where the main is they can connect to and ask if they offer a concession if you do the digging. If yes dig out from the boundary of your property dig 24" deep or more (NOT LESS they wont lay the pipe) to the proposed site of the meters (1 per flat) and wait for them to put in the pipe.

If any loss or injury occurs as a result of people falling over or in your excavation then you will experience true pain, your insurer will sent you hate mail and you will find flaming effigies nailed to your door. Protect the excavation very well.

PS You can put diesel oil from the tank in the digger it wil run ok on it and save a fill up.

Arrange to have the old oil tank drained and for it to be disposed of in a proper manner. If any responsible person sees you dropping it in a country lane late at night (including me) you will equally endure pains more severe than above mentioned.

Because you have two individual dwellings everything will be two fold so two supplies from the meter, two boilers, two systems etc
    The number for Transco is 0870 608 1524 they will steer you along in the right direction.

Since the break up of British Gas the gas supply is not the same as the hardware so be prepared for delays and the sounds of screechy ancient violin music while you wait.

Consider renewing the water service at the same time but that should be at 2'6" and the ends are identified by a stopcock at the boundary of the property and a stopcock inside (usually under the sink). The water service must be laid in a duct and have 2'6" of cover. May save a lot of heart ache later and both can go in the same trench.

New heating needs all the water pressure and volume it can get otherwise you get cold rads and hot water and sometimes vice versa especially combis (your cheaper option)

Charlie

:)

3. jfk

jfk New Member

Thanks Charlie for the valuable info. You raised the concern of water pressure when using Combis - an option I was intending to apply. Does this mean that some sort of pump is necessary for this project if I was to install combis? A novelist at heart, I was led to believe that combis were the ideal solution for flats.

Radiators: The property also has a set of radiators from the 60s in good condition that are still sold today. However, they require a lick of paint. What is the best way of rejuvenating these poor rads?

I would be interested to read your response or one from any other professionals out there.

J.

4. Dr Who

Dr Who New Member

JFK,

You are not allowed to add a pump to any mains water pipe. I asked this question already of several plumbers who are allegedly giving me quotes for a new boiler.

I don't think that your neighbours would appreciate their water being sucked out of their pipes by your pump when demand in the area is high!

Dr Who

5. Charlie Far!ey

No jfk, Dr Who is right when he says you'll pis* off the neighbours for two reasons. You will stir up sediment in the main and it may cause the stopcock to block (the most common reason and chargable by the water co) and the other is the pressure reduction while you are pumping will be detrimental to them plus when you stop pumping the sudden increased pressure within the main may pop the pipe or joints. Street mains have a broad range of pressure and if you base yours on 80 psi then after you install your new water service and the heating system doesn't work you have done everything in your legal ability to achieve the operating pressure that you require and so it's over to the water board to sort it out not you.

When hell was invented they put in radiators till the place warmed up by fire and brimstone and they are a bastar* to paint. I will only say rub them down and spray them with a radiator paint else they turn yellow in days and look like kak. How much you rub them down is your choice - Ideally back to metal but this isnt practical and remember to remove and refit the spuds (whee the rad valves fit in) with a new clean, joint of ptfe as well as flush them thoroughly. If sedimemt gets in the boilers heat exchangers it will heat up slower than water causing the metal on the heat exchangers to expand and contract at differing rates than the water filled ares within and this may lead to fracturing and disaster. And as the Mexicans say "Moocho Poopo On de Flooro" and the failue is always when the place is empty for an extended period and not discoverd for a long time.

There isn't an easy way of refurbishing radiators. Every method created bymanking involves money, pain, **** and paint.

Charlie

Only 2 more postings to go before my batteries run out

:(

6. jfk

jfk New Member

Charlie,
    I like the idea of having more water than my neighbours. It almost has an elevating feel about that idea. However, with sense prevailing, I have taken on board your advise. Thank you.

With regards to the radiators from hell, isn't there a place where I could take the rads for a re-spray or is that to easy an option? Surely, I am not alone with this problem. The thought of having 12 Rads to refurb is getting me to explore alternatives.
    Please comment.
    J.

7. RH

RH New Member

You could always look into getting them media blasted, that'll at least get you back to bare metal.

8. bilco

bilco New Member

I thought media blasting only stripped the skin off roalty n the like

9. chtechie

chtechie Member

Hi Dr Who & Jfk

Interested in the comment that you can't pump the mains - I changed a pressure switch on a Grundfos pump the other day in a small restuarant - Pump was connected to the mains and had a small pressure tank (switch set at 3 bar). When I spoke to Grundfos they were quite happy it was on the mains. I wonder if commercial & domestic have different rules / Could be worth asking your local water company.

10. jfk

jfk New Member

Sorry for the delay in response. Thank you all for your advise. It has been very helpful. Since the postings, I was unable to locate anywhere where media blast was done. So instead, I am now in negotiations with the local garage who sounds promising. You have heard of a re-pray for cars. I am having a re-spray for my radiators.
    Kind regards
    J.

11. Charlie Far!ey

Hey jfk

"....I like the idea of having more water than my neighbours. It almost has an elevating feel about that idea."

The very crux of the unrest in the middle east is water from the Golan Heights and when they get pis*sed off they send their wives and kids round trick and treating but what a trick or treat they pull off! Be warned and forty years ago the person that your pseudonymn is attributed was dispatched in Dallas Texas so if youre already dead you cant be killed. Like you wont be missed.

:^O