Drainage

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by RCDD, Nov 26, 2003.

1. RCDD

RCDD New Member

I am currently having building work carried out on my house which involves the erection of a new external cavity wall around the perimeter of the existing structure. The rain water and soil vent pipes etc require to be repositioned to suit the new external footprint of the house. The existing pipe work has been removed and the builder has (I hope temporarily) installed new bends into the existing gully positions, this means that the new foundations have been laid around them and the new blockwork built over them. Can anyone confirm that the new down pipes should be connected to repositioned gullys outside the external footprint.

Thanks in anticipation

Attached Files:

2. colinglazebrook

colinglazebrook New Member

Hi,
    What you are doing is not exactly common so I dont know that there are exact rules to cover this but what you are doing will most certainly require a visit (or 2 or 3)from the building inspector and he will soon advise if what you are doing is correct. Gullies must be accessable otherwise there is no point in having them and any pipework under brick/blockwork must be suitably "bridged" to make sure that there is no imposed load on the pipes.
    Are you saying that the gullies are now "under" the new brick/blockwork? If so, I am sure that would not be acceptable.

3. RCDD

RCDD New Member

colinglazebrook

Thanks for that, it's as I suspected. I will have a word with the builder. The work being carried out is a Class 3 repair to a doran construction property which is formed from concrete panels with no internal/external cavity. The works are all above board as far as planning and building warrants etc. Yes the blocks have been built over the gullies and my concern was that they would be inaccessible.

Oh well time to take a deep breath and have it out with them (3 Huge blokes) wish me luck.