Router guide bushes

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Dr. Bob, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob New Member

I have 2 routers, a makita 3620 & Performance pro 1250R. The Perf.Pro came with a router guide bush of 70mm overal diameter with bush 22mm od/19mm id.The hole in the base of both routers is 70 mm. I bought a screwfix 1/2 inch dovetail jig some time ago & am about to use it. This came with a 60 mm overal diameter bush plate (this is the Trend 'standard'), with the actual bush guide 12mm od / 10mm id. Obviously this won't fit into either router therefore I seem to be faced with buying a universal base plate. However, the unibase from Trend at ~£14.50 doesn't fit the Perf.Pro - base for this is ~£30. Any idea where I can buy at reasonbale cost a guide bush to work with the 1/2inch dovetail jig but with plate diameter of 70mm to fit either router. Sorry if this message is long & windy - my first time on forum

Attached Files:

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob New Member

Sorry - this should have been posted in carpenter's talk which it now has been.

3. woodchip

woodchip New Member

why not take a trip to your local sheet metal worker/fabricator. Give him all the dimensions required and i'm sure he will knock you something together for a small figure. My local tinsmith made me a jig of similarity 18 months ago for £1.50. To buy the required jig was in excess of £40.00. Give it a try.

4. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hi Doc,

A cheap way out is to buy a router cutter with a built in bearing to follow the guide comb. I bought a dovetail jig, which is the same as the Screwfix one, from Charnwood. They sell the bearing dovetail cutter for about £9. I cannot get the Charnwood site to load at the minute otherwise I would have given you the hyperlink.

Hope this helps

DWD

5. Tired-old-git

Tired-old-git New Member

Dont bother with trend uni base ie had 2 break on fixings to router they are made poorly from recycled plastic, (too many damm holes week structure)do as suggested get some handy metalworker to build yourself one or buy from makers of router for guides if poss, dearer but less hassle in the long run

6. Dewy

Dewy New Member

I wish I still had acces to a lathe (metalwork). Normal bushes are pressed from steel but its a simple matter to turn them from a steel billet.