Building a balcony

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by jfk, Nov 29, 2003.

1. jfk

jfk New Member

Can any Pro help me,
    I, more precisely, my wife woke up one morning with the thought that she would like a balcony off the bedroom looking out to the ....... As such, I am faced with this challenge. Since this event, I have discovered that planning department and building regs will not contest this idea provided I furnish them with some drawings. Apart from plans, can anyone tell me:-
    1. Where to start,
    2. Where I can get the material and,
    3. Where I can go for ideas?

All advise is gladly appreciated. j.

2. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

It's too vague jfk.
    One point the council is always hard with and that is called the 'drive by effect'. What kind of effect will have on the appearence of the property and whether the change is acceptable to them. The plans are one thing as they show the methods and materials but the finished job may be unacceptable - Check this with them first

Q It the proposed balcony going to be situated on top of an existing structure or supported on legs?

Q Which direction, orientation sre the existing floor joists?

Q How high up is it? Is it the 21st floor of a block of flats or the first floor of a house?

Q What is it's expected loading? Is the construction for more than say, three people?

Q What consideration has been applied to security? You are now offering a plausible point of entry to the thieves.

3. supersparky

supersparky New Member

what would you say if he said he was on the 22nd floor of a block of flats?

BR

4. Charlie Far!ey

5. Thermo

Thermo New Member

MOVE!!!

6. Thermo

Thermo New Member

Your best bet is to get in touch with a professional in the form of an architect/engineer/ building surveyor. Youll need them to produce drawings for the planning and building regs anyway, so speak to them early and they will give you some scope as to what is feasable. Apart from that look around for ideas and dont rush!

7. jfk

jfk New Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sorry for the late response. Further details are as follows.

The property is a house overlooking the sea. The idea originated from having seen the neighbour's balcony five houses down the road.
    Dimensions 3.5m from the house, 4m wide (large enough to put table and chairs outside, leaning on the property and supported by two legs.

Q Which direction, orientation are the existing floor joists? The joists run parallel with the width of the balcony and thus width of the house.

Q How high up is it? Only to the first floor of a house.

Q What is it's expected loading? to support table and chairs, possibly 3/4 people.

Q What consideration has been applied to security? House is fully alarmed. The balcony will have lights that automatically switches on. Further security is provided by the area - being a neighbourhood scheme area.

8. jfk

jfk New Member

Further elaboration on the design:- The sort of thing I had in mind was a balcony coming off the first floor and being held up by a pair of legs.

I am happy to say that it will not be off the 22nd floor.

Any comments please...

9. supersparky

supersparky New Member

Further elaboration on the design:- The sort of thing I had in mind was a balcony coming off the first floor and being held up by a pair of legs.
    Is that a hidden sexual referance? thats a hell of a pair if they can be described as a balcony :-?

BR

10. jfk

jfk New Member

Response to Supersparky: I would provide pictures of the lady(Balcony). However, I need a good specification/design.
    j.

11. supersparky

supersparky New Member

see it was this joke that wised me up to tjhese kinds of things:
    WANTED
    A tall well-built woman with good
    reputation, who can cook frogs
    legs, who appreciates a good fuc-
    schia garden, classic music and tal-
    king without getting too serious.
    But please only read lines 1,3 and 5

hehheh

BR

12. Charlie Far!ey

This cant be evaluated from afar jfk. Thermo has hit the nail on the head. first it isnt a job for a DIYer and secondly you need professional guidance. You know where the legs will sit on the ground below and I suggest that you dig a hole 3' square and deep and look at the type of substrata you will be encountering. Does it fill with sea water? What is its true California value (that is the value attributed to the extent of compaction; so say reject stone has a value of 1 and granite chips i think is 9 although it will support a downward load in an equal fashion they will behave differently if the downward loading moves about even slightly). The supporting joists will be RSJ and they will need to be treated with a marine resistant material. If your in Ocean village or Hythe marina they are different specs for both treatments eventhough they are opposite each other across the water. The joists may have to be cut through, in fact it is almost positive they will and that will compromise the integrity of your building.
    Talk to your neighbour with the balcony and get as much info from them that they will divuldge without the use of torture and the person who built theirs will know the pitfalls and the routes through the problems that may arise and there <u>will</u> be problems. Their builder will or may be able to price the job with a minimum of extras because he will already know most of them. A good stick to thrash him with if you end up in court.
    The risk to you is too high for a fair assessment to be made from here - You must ask for on-site professional help

I know it is frustrating for you but I assure you to have a good build you must follow good advice and this is the best I can offer at this stage.

Charlie

13. jfk

jfk New Member

I fully agree with you Charlie & thermo's advice. I need to consult a professional. However, I was hoping to get some ideas prior to engaging an architect.

My final question on this matter is, does anyone know where I could get steel poles of 12inches in diameter?

14. Thermo

Thermo New Member

Most steel fabricators will be able to provide something of that ilk at not too an expensive price. In fact they would probably be able to fabricate the whole thing, which would make it a fairly easy job oncve youve gone through the preliminaries. One other thought if youre by the sea youre going to be in a heavily corrosive atmosphere so it will have a bearing on what materials you use.

Charley i hope his hole dont fill with sea water or hes got a huge problem on his hands (and around his wet feet!!)

15. Charlie Far!ey

Hello Thermo
    I'm not suggesting it will fill with water but if <u>any</u> shows then consideration has to be made for the type of cement he would need to use and the integrity of the substrata would be bought into question as it would clearly be highly pourous therefore the foreshore may be indifferent causing the sea water to permeate the soils further inshore. The W Sussex area is particullarly difficult I dont know if this is there but if so then there is a whole new can of worms that he may be exposed to.
    I think that the neighbours balcony may be on joist hangers fixed to the face of the joist but nonetheless strict care must be taken to ensure the joist is fully supported and I feel that this job may require RSJ's although I may be wrong it is too risky to make recommedations from a terminal a thousand miles away from the job
    Charlie

16. Thermo

Thermo New Member

Charley
    I know exactly where you are coming from living on the west sussex coast myself, it just sounded funny the way it was worded!! Got to have a giggle now and then!

17. jfk

jfk New Member

Thank you charlie, Thermo and supersparky for the advise regarding this topic. You advise and opinions were much appreciated.
    J.