£14k for a new roof and £3k for guttering?

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by yetanotherDIYer, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Hi everyone,

I've got a 4 bed terraced with a pitched roof, two chimneys and a valley. After about a month of reaching out to roofers, I have two quotes for re-roofing and new guttering. The first trader quoted £7k. His quote was a few sentences long and informal. So I'm a bit concerned about it. The second roofer asked just shy of £14k for re-roofing and £3k for guttering. They quoted V2 interlocking tiles which I gather are the less expensive ones. I understand every roof and quote is different...but is around 16k a typical price for re-roofing and guttering 80 sq m roof? After some reading online I was expecting to be quoted half that price.

Thanks!

r.jpg

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That quote would include scaffolding?

3. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

What's wrong with your existing roof and guttering?

4. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Er wasn’t your first quote half the price ?

5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It's all blurry Joe.

Joe the Plumber likes this.
  6. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Quote or estimate? What is in scope and what isn’t

for that size job I think you need a clear specification of what the scope of work is and what’s excluded.

7. Quote was quite detailed although it didn't have a breakdown (is it common?). Includes scaffolding, skip, cover rafters with membrane, roof battens, valley, tiling, ridge lines, guttering, fascia, soffit board. We had the roof patched before due to a leak. It still leaks at least in one place. Tiles have fallen off before. Not an expert but it does look too old from the outside. Could be wrong. Ever grateful for all the advice!

r3.png r1.png
    r2.png

8. Dbosoz

Dbosoz Member

Hello DIYer, I've just finished my 3rd soffit/facia/gutters, I learned a lot from doing it myself. Admittedly, i only used ladders, but all of the materials came to about £250 per house, I just got rid of the old stuff at the local tip. It took me a day for each side of the houses (mainly because I kept having to move the ladders on my own). As for the roof, why not get a retired roofer to give advice, then spend an enjoyable few days with some helpers and DIY. I'm sure you will all learn something and I'm sure you will save a small fortune (it's always the labour that adds up, materials would be a fraction of those quotes). If you are on furlough, even better, or maybe take a weeks holiday, like a staycation. It's amazing what you can do with the help of youtube. Good luck.

9. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

Do it at night.

10. Dbosoz

Dbosoz Member

11. spirits are real 2016

Well at least you had a night on the tiles.

spannerw likes this.
  12. Dbosoz

Dbosoz Member

Very good, like your style. :)

13. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

This is a good video on DIY roofing :-

14. spirits are real 2016

At least your house would have a new girlfriend..

15. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Just for guttering, or guttering, soffits, facias etc? About £100 per linear meter is the going rate for all this.

16. spirits are real 2016

She would be called RUTH (roof)

17. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

would she be classed as shingle?