£250 to hang 5 internal doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Northwest gas svc's, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Northwest gas svc's

Northwest gas svc's New Member

Is this about right ? only had 1 quote and the chap seems ok so should I just let him get on with it ?

Plumber

2. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

If you can afford to drive a Ferrari why quibble over the price? Having said that, pricing for hanging doors on here or over the phone is fraught with danger. Five flush doors that fit perfectly into their frames: no bother. Five doors that need cutting a planing to fit and have 15 panes of glass to fit along with a deadlock and a night latch and a door closer and intumescent fire strip.....I think you get the point!

3. Northwest gas svc's

No quibble,just wondering if its about right, some unscrupolous tradesmen might see the type of house you live in or thee cars on the drive and up the price by 50%.
    Can understand trying to price a job over the net/phone etc as we get it over on the plumbers forum, but the doors or just plain simple oak veneers no glass etc etc,

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

2 hours per door, £25 per hour, 5 doors, spot on.

5. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

£250 isn't necessarily out of order. Of course it depends on where you live and you are quite right that unscrupulous tradesmen will "inflate" their prices accordingly. I live in Newcastle Upon Tyne and on the information you have given me I would be thinking of an estimate of around £150 given that I can hang five doors in one day.(of the internal variety you mention) If you live in the London area then £250 doesn't seem unrealistic since the cost of living in that Metropolis is significantly more than in the North East of England.

6. Northwest gas svc's

Thanks for the input, Manchester area,so similar to Newcastle, really. The joiner only charges £125 / day which I thought is quite reasonable but his work rate is pretty slow !?!? (It took him half as day to fit a new internal door frame, it was a weird size so had to be cut down from a larger piece of wood)) but my theory is , if I fitted my own doors I would need 2 days off to do it(might even take me longer,ha ha) and I can make double what he is charging per day so makes sense to employ him.
    Its just when he said it'd take him a few days ???

7. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

"some unscrupolous tradesmen might see the type of house you live in or thee cars on the drive and up the price by 50%."
    thats a bit harsh, ferraris only warrant a 30% posh git levy.
    It is more the bently/phantom guys that get the full 50%
    lol

8. foxy

foxy New Member

Asking about door hanging prices on here is akin to lighting the blue touchpaper and retiring. :)
    £250 is a mid to top end price IMO assuming your frames aren't warped all over the place. If the chap takes his time and does an excellent job it will be money well spent. I worry about anyone who prices up over the phone, not sure if this chap did or not from your post.
    It should only be a days work for a pro so he does sound slow. Is he 78 or something? ;)

9. !!

!! New Member

I'd take 2 days to do the job if theres a nice young lady in the house. Price sounds ok though I fit doors for £40 but works abit thin on the ground at the minute

10. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

who's the chap taking 2hrs to fit an internal door.very slow.slower than slow.north west prices range from some joiner's charge anything from 20 to 35 an internal.never head of anyone getting 50 a door though.but hey if your charging 250 a day why you quibbling over a guy who's gonna charge you 150 for a day's work.minimiser.

11. ivor bigun

ivor bigun New Member

Here we go again.................yawn, yawn, yawn

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

When you add the time to unload your tools, put protective flooring down, do the job, clear up after yourself, get the cheque, load up the van, you are looking at 2 hours. If you just walk ** into the Ferrari owners carpet, do the job, leave a mess, grab cash and ** off you can probably do it quicker and not have to go to the bank either.

[Edited by: admin2]

13. dazzed

dazzed New Member

looks like youll have to get the ferrari pit stop crew in if you want them done any faster.

14. Northwest gas svc's

Thanks lads/lasses £250 sound ok then, he is a bit slow but he's getting on a bit (he's old school) when apprenticeships were about 4/5 years.
    Dont get hung up over a name, the car is a 20 yr old 328, most average modern day cars are worth double , actually my merc vito is worth more than the bloody car.

15. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

don't tell us you've got a hairdresser's private plate as well

16. Northwest gas svc's

no just a c reg ! its completely original with just 70000 on the clock not a spot of rust and starts everytime ,been in hibernation all winter,time to get it out again though.

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

It's just a bit of a mockery when the doors only cost £18 each from Wickes. :(

Mr. HandyAndy - really

18. Chekhov

Chekhov Member

plumber with a Ferrari: Don't get hung up on a name! So, it's twenty years old. So what? It's still a Ferrari! Your pride and joy no doubt. Good luck to you. I'd have a twenty year old Ferrari rather then any modern tin can on wheels that wouldn't last half that time!

19. Guest

It's just a bit of a mockery when the doors only cost
    £18 each from Wickes. :(

Mr. HandyAndy - really

Yea agree with H A! (but half *****)

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's just a bit of a mockery when the doors only cost
    £18 each from Wickes. :(

Mr. HandyAndy - really

It's warped pieces of ** from Wickes that make the job take longer.
    I once got asked to hang an external door that the client had bought himself and had had stained glass fitted into to match the rest of his entrance porch. When I measured it up it was 3" too short and 1" too narrow and at the end of the job he wanted to varnish it rather than paint. It took me 1 1/2 days to sort out as the existing frame was **** as well.