£250 to hang 5 internal doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Northwest gas svc's, Apr 1, 2007.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's warped pieces of ** from Wickes that make the job take longer.
    I once got asked to hang an external door that the client had bought himself and had had stained glass fitted into to match the rest of his entrance porch. When I measured it up it was 3" too short and 1" too narrow and at the end of the job he wanted to varnish it rather than paint. It took me 1 1/2 days to sort out as the existing frame was **** as well.
    These are 2 separate unlinked statements

[Edited by: admin2]

2. meansonofajoiner

meansonofajoiner New Member

Can only assume if it takes you 2 hours to hang an internal door ,your either still an apprentice or a chancer

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you looked at the previous postings you would have seen that in my opinion the time spent to hang a door includes, any advertising you need to get the phone call in the first place, going to look at the job and sending in a quote, accepting quote, travelling to job, unloading tools, talking to the customer, putting down dust sheets etc, hanging the door, fitting door furniture, cleaning up after yourself, loading van, getting the cheque written out and taken to the bank.
    You will have to do most of these on every private job and if you don't factor them into your prices you will be a poor fool. I cannot understand the attitude of chippies who delight in saying they can hang a door in seconds for tuppence, Why? So you can die quicker and poorer?

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I worked a few years ago as a bench joiner and the management didn't have to supervise the joiners shop cos the chippies would all shop each other to the boss if someone did something wrong. Do you see the sparks and plumbers doing this, no they stick together and get paid more. Think about it.

5. flyingscotsman

flyingscotsman New Member

Do you see the sparks and plumbers doing this, no they stick together. Ehhhmmmm you have`nt actually checked out the sparks forum then Chips old boy. :)

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Do you see the sparks and plumbers doing this, no
    they stick together.

Ehhhmmmm
    Ehhhmmmm you
    Ehhhmmmm you have`nt actually
    mm you have`nt actually checked out the sparks forum
    then Chips old boy. :)
    I do look in now and again but I was basing my statement on my experience in work rather than on the forums.
    On TV especially the sparks have got it stitched up. No disrespect, all power to their elbow.
    I just keep seeing chippies on this forum competing to earn the least money from door hanging and I can't understand why.
    Also I was **ed last night when I went online, of course.

[Edited by: admin9]

7. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear New Member

I'm in the wrong job! I hung 4 doors in a day with plenty of tea breaks and I got kicked out of woodwork at school. I think I'll re-train.

P.S. The doors do open and close and the bathroom one locks.

8. Brad Naylor

Brad Naylor New Member

It all depends on so many factors.

If the doors fit nicely, the frames are square and plumb, there are mortices already cut in the frames from the previous doors, and the punter wants dead simple furniture, then 5 doors and a round of golf in a day is a piece of **.

If the doors need trimming on all 4 sides to fit frames that are all over the place, if the hinges need letting in to solid oak, the furniture's a pig, and the punter's watching over your shoulder the whole time then it might just take a tad longer.

Cheers
    Brad

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If the client has pristine white carpets which he won't even let you wear shoes on so you have to carry each door up and down three flights of stairs every time you have to work on it, avoiding all the pictures and ornaments that have been left out.
    There are all sorts of things that slow you down when you are working in clients houses, hanging maybe 1 or 2 doors and then travelling to the next job, rather than on a site where you are in one place hanging loads.

10. ivor bigun

ivor bigun New Member

I agree with chippie244

I like to charge as much as I possibly can. In fact I would charge £250 for ONE door if I could get it.

I just can't understand why some of you take pride in how cheaply you can do the job

11. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

believe it or not i have heard of good joiner's charging £15 to fit an internal door.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

believe it or not i have heard of good joiner's
    charging £15 to fit an internal door.

good, poor, joiners

13. Guest

I renovate property, the joiner I use charges £20 for an internal door, all the doors are removed before he comes on site, he will normally fit 8 -9 at a time, done in a day ! I have to wait for him though, the deal is, I give him a key and he will do them when he's quite, suits both of us,

Would never ask him to fit 1 or 2 for that money.

14. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

hanging doors is the most emotive subject on this forum

some people genuinly believe that the £15 quoted in the small adds of any local newspaper is all they will pay AND believe they will get a good job

cheap and quality dont come in the same box

15. handymanforhire

handymanforhire New Member

cheap and quality dont come in the same box

As the old joke goes - "quality, cheap, fast - pick any two..."

Cheers, Pete.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

My typical phone call for doors is "I live in a 3 story townhouse in Hampstead and I've had my man go to the reclamation yard and pick up some jolly nice old pine doors, How much to fit them?" And my answer is "2 hours per door, £25.00 per hour, £50.00". It works for me and if someone wants to undercut me, fair enough. I don't do cheap, I do good and I'm not short of work.

17. I'm with chippie244, quality not quantity

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Thanks for the support. I thought I was on my own on this for a while.

19. ivor bigun

ivor bigun New Member

I agree with chippie244

I like to charge as much as I possibly can. In fact I
    would charge £250 for ONE door if I could get it.

I just can't understand why some of you take pride in
    how cheaply you can do the job

I already agreed with you. So that's two of us that are with you!

20. ivor bigun

ivor bigun New Member

My typical phone call for doors is -

"I've had a quote for fitting three internal doors at £20 each. What's your price going to be?"

My typical answer is -

"Why don't you ** off and stop wasting my time?"