£250 to hang 5 internal doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Northwest gas svc's, Apr 1, 2007.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Sorry Ivor Bigun, I should have said "Thanks for ALL the support" BTW hows the red nosed monster and Mrs Palm and her five lovely daughters.

2. ivor bigun

ivor bigun New Member

Sorry Ivor Bigun, I should have said "Thanks for ALL
    the support" BTW hows the red nosed monster and Mrs
    Palm and her five lovely daughters.

Feeling a bit worn out at the moment

:)

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

My memory is coming back to me and it was "Ivor Biggun and the red nosed BANDITS" that released the classic "Winkers Song (missprint)" featuring Mrs Palm and her 5 lovely daughters and ,if my memory is correct, a badger, a melon and a cat, an inflatable Linda Lovelace doll and a Davy Crockett hat. Any way my brain is getting weak and my knees have turned to water, my donk is getting shorter and I think I'm going blind. Bye Bye.

4. prince

prince New Member

Just done 7 doors, all Howdens cheapos..Charged £30 a door, including latches. Started at 8.30am, finished at 4.30. Customer was so pleased she gave me £250.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Well done. however I would have earned £350 for the same job but instead I finished a 2 day TV job in half a day, got paid £440 and I can ** it off tomorrow. I ***** hate doors.

[Edited by: admin2]

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm sorry, the last post was very arrogant and my only excuse is alcohol.
    I've been rereading the postings and realise I wasn't being disagreed with as much as I thought I was.

7. damo

damo New Member

In previous threads it seems that door hanging is on of the most contraversial subjects especialy when it comes to pricing. My view is that door hanging is a skilled job if done properly to industrial standards, and there is no harm in making a bit of profit just like any other job in this trade especialy if you are working on a self employed basis. I charge £40 (£35 for more than one), for a standard internal fitted with door handle set and that includes delivery and collection of door. I would never swing a door for less than that.
    I think if you are charging less than 40, you are waisting your time, even if you can hang 8 or 9 doors a day.

8. dunc

dunc New Member

With any kind of pricing it often comes down to what is meant and under what circumstances it can be applied.

If you are as good as your word and willing to quote a price without seeing the work, then fine away you go. Just don't expect any sympathy if you have to hang a door in a cave opening for Dracula's shithouse.

I think such low quotes as £15 are starter prices, upon which the contractor then piles addional costs as they become apparent to the inexperienced customer. So its just a facility to appease the squeamish punter, whilst softening the blow.

9. !!

!! New Member

Ha hahahah yeah £15 to hang a door another £15 if you want a handle on it £5 for a latch, might give that a go next time I get a tight git

10. damo

damo New Member

I get what your saying Dunc, but on average my price takes into account that not every door frame is going to be a piece of cake to hang a door to, therefor giving an average standard price for the odd unplumb, gritty, unlevel situations. But saying that, the price is only a standard quote, always look before I quote, so I charge triple when a caveman wants me to hang an external to his rocky opening.

11. meansonofajoiner

meansonofajoiner New Member

Bloody ell. How long do these debates usually go on for. I made my in initial comment a week ago on this one. Only decided to check any replies cos the wifes watching that poncy Grand Designs on channel 4.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

A little scenario.
    You get a phone call from someone who wants a door hanging and you agree to go over after work to have a look, it's rush hour but you get there, have a quick once over, chat to the client and agree a price. You get to the pub an hour later than usual. A couple of weeks later you go to do the job, you can't start too early as she's got to get the kids off to school, leave at 8.45, hit the school run but you're unloaded and set up by 9.15. The door is a piece of ** and by 9.45 it's swinging, mortice lock in, the lot. You tidy up and reload the van, 10 am, then it's "Is a cheque OK or do you want me to go to the cash machine". So it's wait for her to go to the bank or you've got to go to pay the cheque in. Wait for the cash and then drive to next job, arrive 10.30.
    So has hanging the door taken 1/2 hour or 2 3/4 hours.

[Edited by: admin9]

13. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

Hanging the door took 1/2 and hour, the rest of the time was spent travelling, chatting and waiting. ;). But agreed you should have some recompence for TCW.

14. !!

!! New Member

whats wrong with a cheque, I pay mine in at the atm on my way to the pub

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

whats wrong with a cheque, I pay mine in at the atm
    on my way to the pub

I don't think I can do that with my bank but I will check as that would be dead handy but even so my bank is 2 miles away.
    I was just illustrating that a 1/2 hour job can't be charged as 1/2 hour. If you had three of those in a day it would have taken a combined time of 8 1/4 hours and you've charged for 1 1/2 hours.

16. !!

!! New Member

I wasn't arguing with the hours it takes.

As for the paying in at atms, I've accounts with both HSBC and Natwest and they both have that service. they have an extra slot on the left next to the one where those lovely notes come out.

Just remember to grab a load of those paying in envelopes and sort it out at home, nothing worse than sorting out cash in a rough area

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Cheers for that with the bank. I'm with R.B.S. and they've taken over Natwest so I should be alright.
    I wasn't arguing with you over the hours issue either, it just seems like a lot of chippies don't actualy look at what it takes to do a job. I didn't even include parking, bad access, advertising etc.
    Ta, John.

18. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

Paying in cheques - its not your account you have to check, surly its your kids account that cheques go in and cash in yer pocket ;)

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about!

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

And I can't do the winky thing either.