× Stiebel Eltron Electronic Instantaneous Water Heater - any good?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by agofarkas, Dec 4, 2020.

1. agofarkas

agofarkas New Member

Anyone have experience with the Stiebel Eltron Electronic Instantaneous Water Heater 12.0kW?

I'm looking for a water heater to heat two sinks and a shower in my summer house. Is this the right thing to get? I'm trying to avoid having faffy little water heaters everywhere, and just want one heater for the whole space.

Anyone else done this before or have any recommendations/tips?

thanks

2. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

1. Lived in Germany for a while. Stiebel Eltron is a respected make.
    2. How are you going to get 53 amp electricity supply to your summerhouse? You'll probably need 16 mm SWA cable - around £7.25 / metre.
    3. And how are you going to get rid of the waste water?

3. agofarkas

agofarkas New Member

@andy48

we are running more power out to the shed and there’s already a toilet out there, so waste water is accommodated.

is this water heater the kind of thing that will allow me to put normal shower and sink faucets in? Should it be put up in the crawl space or does it not matter?
    Thanks for any and all pointers!

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

You can use a 12kW instantaneous water heater for a really good shower, but it's not appropriate for a bath.
    Also, you can't use it with a thermostatic shower. It can only be used with a manual mixer.
    I have mine mounted under the bath behind the bath side panel.

5. agofarkas

agofarkas New Member

So does it need to sit in the bathroom, or can I put it further upstream and have it heat sink and shower?

6. rogerk101

You can put it wherever you want, but I'd suggest insulating the hot water pipes if you're doing long runs, as it loses quite a bit of heat ... heat that you can't afford to lose because it's only 12kW and the only way it can get the water to a decent temperature is to restrict the flow a bit. That's why they don't suggest you use it for a bath. It's perfectly OK for a shower though.
    FWIW, mine heats the water for the shower, the basin and the kitchen sink, but fortunately the maximum run from the bath to the kitchen sink is only about 3m as the kitchen is directly below the bathroom. I have 25mm thick insulation on the hot water pipes and that helps a huge amount.

7. agofarkas

agofarkas New Member

Super helpful, thank you! My kitchen and bathroom are going to be 2 m apart in a summer house that is only 25 sq m, so I think it will be fine.

While you’re being so helpful - did you consider any other brands/products and what made you choose this one above the others?

Thanks again.

8. rogerk101

I have a Redring in a rental home that I own, and a Galaxy in my own home. They're both fine.