!0mm flooring gap problem

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by GR1688, Mar 29, 2007.

1. GR1688

GR1688 New Member

Hi all,

I have just moved into a new house and have noticed that the 18mm toungue and groove chipboard panels have been put down on the loftwith no expansion gapleft at the edge, is there any power tool that can be bought/hired that I can go along the side of the wall to insert this gap or will I have to lift them and cut 10mm off, or is it okay to leave as is,

cheers in advance

2. Guest

GR1688 I would ignore it mate, think about the things you can't see ! sorry to be so negative.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

'Course, it could be that the boards are expanded at the mo, and the gaps will reappear when it gets a bit warmer.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Don't things expand when they're warm and contract when they're cold?

5. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

6. cosworth

cosworth New Member

Don't things expand when they're warm and contract
    when they're cold?

:^O:^O
    wrong wood tho!!

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

shhh!
    Sorry, are children sleeping?

8. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

no, there is gonna be an argument over wood expanding/contracting!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Mr. Handyandy

Think you'll find it's the humidity that determines how wood expands.

Warmer = drier

Drying wood contracts.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

10. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Warmer = drier
    nope!

11. Mr. Handyandy

Warmer = drier
    nope!

Yes.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I see what you mean.

13. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Rainforrest, pi55es down, sun comes out water evapourates into the air humidity very high wood expands.
    Las vegas, hot, not water in the air humidity zero, wood does not expand.
    Humidity is moisture in the air, not the temperature of the air.
    Why is humidity higher in england than las vegas?
    We are an island so when the sun comes out we get high humidity. In a desest no vapour in the air low or zero humidity.

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

no, there is gonna be an argument over wood
    expanding/contracting!!!!!!!!!!!
    To make my last post clearer.

15. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

The weather is "sticky" as your granny said in the summer, yep high humidity, vapour in the air, hotter not drier air!

16. flyingscotsman

flyingscotsman New Member

Audi,Audi,Audi, what have you done?

17. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Well i know p155 all about most things on here but i know how humidity affects floors, i do it every day ***.
    OK
    You can have a room at 28deg at different times of the year and it will react differently because of the humidity.
    Typically
    summer, 28deg high humidity, the moisture in the air is absorbed by the floor so it expands.
    As the winter starts you put your gas ch on for the first time of the year, it dries all the moisture out of the air then the floor, the floor contracts,
    both 28deg!!!!!!!!!

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Just to go back to the original post it was flooring in a loft that was the potential problem, not as far as I know a very humid environment.
    It made me think that as everything expands when it gets warmer, what is the difference in expansion rates between the bricks and mortar the shell is made from and the wood the joists and floors are made from? A genuine question you should be able to get your teeth into Andy.
    Also you leave an expansion joint on laminate floors which presumably don't absorb moisture and I seem to recall that you leave them on vinyl floors as well.
    I think we need a good physics lecturer on the job.

19. flyingscotsman

flyingscotsman New Member

Audi i am in no way questioning you, but there are those with limited knowledge who will. ;)

20. Mr. Handyandy

The warmth dries the wood. The warmth draws the moisture out of the wood.

A wooden door sticks because it has got wet. The sun dries it out, and presto, it don't stick no more.

The decking boards 'plim' up tight in the winter months. It is cold and it is wet.

In the summer there are big gaps between the decking boards. It is warm and it is dry(and if it gets wet, it bloody soon dries out).

A thousand more examples are available, but if you need them, well..........

Mr. HandyAndy - really