!0mm flooring gap problem

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by GR1688, Mar 29, 2007.

1. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

humidity even lol

2. Brad Naylor

Brad Naylor New Member

Entertaining stuff, but back to the original question...

It's a new house, it's now April, chances are that the chipboard floor in the loft was laid sometime in the last three months ie during a damp winter period. A problem with swelling is unlikely to arise then, as the floor is not going to take on much more moisture than when it was fitted.

Anyway, expanding chipboard doesn't give anything like the problems of swelling solid wood. The random and weak structure of chipboard means that if expansion is restricted by a wall it is more likley to crush into itself than buckle the floor, or swell upwards, becoming thicker.

So I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of an expansion gap around the floor. If however, you do want to add one, whip out your biscuit jointer. Plunge into the floor up against the wall and run it round.

Et Voila! A perfect expansion gap. Unfortunately the blade only projects about 15mm from a standard machine, so you'll have to finish off the last 3mm or so with a Fein or even a chisel, if you are one of those very strange breed of carpenters who don't own a Fein.

As to wood movement and causes thereof;

Picture a sauna and a steam room both heated to the same temperature. Stick a plank of wood in each and observe. One plank will shrink and one plank will swell.

Same temperature...

Different moisture levels.

Cheers
    Brad

3. As to wood movement and causes thereof;

Picture a sauna and a steam room both heated to the
    same temperature. Stick a plank of wood in each and
    observe. One plank will shrink and one plank will
    swell.

Same temperature...

Cheers
    Brad

Hurray, some one else who understands :)

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

As to wood movement and causes thereof;

Picture a sauna and a steam room both heated to
    the
    same temperature. Stick a plank of wood in each
    and
    observe. One plank will shrink and one plank will
    swell.

Same temperature...

Cheers
    Brad

Hurray, some one else who understands :)

Yes. If only he knew what he was talking about.

And the difference between a sauna, and a steam room is...?

I must remember, when the weather is cold and damp, wood shrinks.

Not.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

5. Mr Bump

Mr Bump New Member

Hi,

First post on here so be gentle with me! - been reading this thread with interest and thought I might as well dive straight into the controversy.

Wood likes to be in a state of balance with its surroundings - It either takes moisture from its surroundings or gives it up to its surroundings to get to that HUMIDITY balance. Stick a bit of wood in damp surroundings - wood doesn't really care if its hot damp or cold damp - it says to itself "I'm a bit dry for these surroundings - better suck up a bit of water to fit in - Slurp Slurp Burp! Oops got a bit of water retention there, better let out the belt a bit to expand". Stick that bit of wood's brother in some dry surroundings - I think you know where this is going. He doesn't care whether its hot dry or cold dry - he just wants to fit in with his surroundings.

Can open - worms everywhere!

Regards,
    Mr Bump.

6. Mr Bump

Mr Bump New Member

Hi,

Oh I forgot - (it is wayyy past my bedtime) - regarding the chipboard flooring - its a manufactured board - chipboard manufacturers probably specify what expansion their board will do. If its a new build and they haven't fitted it to the spec - you could argue that they should put it right if indeed it does need putting right.

Mr Bump.

7. Guest

Oh I forgot - (it is wayyy past my bedtime)

You're tellin me mate!

8. Guest

these surroundings - better suck up a bit of water to fit in - Slurp Slurp Burp! Oops got a bit of water retention there, better let out the belt a bit to

****! better get to bed Mr Burp before H A stirs, It's a full moon tonight !

OOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW

9. Brad Naylor

Brad Naylor New Member

And the difference between a sauna, and a steam room
    is...?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

Sorry AndyPandy,

Obviously my idiot-proof explanation wasn't quite idiot-proof enough.

A sauna is dry...

A steam room is wet...

Duh!

You would be advised to engage your brain once in a while before launching into one of your incoherent rants

Cheers
    Brad

10. Mr. Handyandy

And the difference between a sauna, and a steam
    room
    is...?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

Sorry AndyPandy,

Obviously my idiot-proof explanation wasn't quite
    idiot-proof enough.

A sauna is dry...

A steam room is wet...

Duh!

You would be advised to engage your brain once in a
    while before launching into one of your incoherent
    rants

Cheers
    Brad

Sauna - A room where steam is produced by pouring cold water over hot stones.

And.....you were saying ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

11. Sauna - A room where steam is produced by pouring
    cold water over hot stones.

And.....you were saying ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

Have you ever had a sauna?

Yes you put water on the hot stones, but if you look at the timber they are usually built from, it is loose, ie it has not expanded with all the non existent air bourne moisture, saunas are a dry heat.

On the other hand steam rooms are just that and that is why the are usually built from plastic or stone/tile, because wood would be destroyed in the constant very high humidity.

12. man or monkey

man or monkey New Member

I cant believe everyone is getting worked up and confused by all this.

Its simple wood is a dehydrated tree. It reacts more to moisture than to temperature.

In an average british home summertime is humid(inside) because its warmer and we have the windows open more.

Wintertime is dryer inside because its warmer because we have the central heating on.

There is a KNOWN relationship between Relative Humidity, Wood moisture content and wood swelling/shrinkage.

Temperature is incidental.

You'll be telling me hardwood is harder and more durable than softwood next!!!!!

13. I cant believe everyone is getting worked up and
    confused by all this.

Only 1 person is getting worked up and confused

You'll be telling me hardwood is harder and more
    durable than softwood next!!!!!

That will depend on what you mean by hardwood and softwood.

Balsa wood is a tropical hardwood, where as Hemlock is a temperate soft wood, which one is harder and more durable.

14. Mr. Handyandy

Look, I ain't getting confused.

Put wood in a room that's warm.

Put the same wood in the same room when cold.

So the wood in the cold room dries out faster, does it ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It depends whether or not someone is ******* into the wind in the same room at the time, possibly how big the beam is, whether it's heated by friction or if there is a large Ze in the PME, whatever that is. ;)

16. lojo

lojo New Member

If your flooring has been fitted with no gap around then altough this is incorrect it does suggest the fitter has gone to lengths to achieve this finish! hopefully this is reflected in other joinery around?

Is the tounge or groove of the chipboard touching the first wall? if so this is weak and could be chiseled off

17. girlie builder

girlie builder New Member

if i put a piece of wood in water and heat the water it swells up ie gets bigger.

Hotter does not necassarily mean drier.

The more moisture the more it expands - whats temperature got to do with anything??

18. TBG, spot on - but others can't accept this.

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I think Handy Andy must be on his hols as I've not seen hide nor hair of him for a while. Good to see that Deacon has got some new chums to play with though.

20. girlie builder

girlie builder New Member

I hope you are not referring to me as deacons chum, I asked but he doesnt want to be friendly. But I think he wants to play!