1-Way Light Switch to Dimmer

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Andrew J Cochrane, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Andrew J Cochrane

Andrew J Cochrane New Member

Hope someone can help,

I'm wanting to change a light switch from a normal switch to a dimmer. However, when taking the facing off, I have two brown wires into L1 and a single brown wire into L2.

In the casing of the current light switch, there's a yellow&green cable thats not connected to anything. And a blue cable thats not connected to anything. Not sure if I'm meant to use these now...

The dimmer switch I have has L1, L2 and a wavy line with an arrow through it.

Any help? Snapchat-1410603479.jpg Snapchat-1176273601.jpg Snapchat-1410603479.jpg

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Put the 2 brown wires into the one with the squiggly line on it and the single brown into L1. Leave the other wires in the connector blocks as they are.
    If your new switch is metal you need to connect an earth wire from the switch casing to the green/yellow wires.

3. Andrew J Cochrane

Andrew J Cochrane New Member

Woo! Perfect thats it sorted.
    A little bit of flickering when it's at the halfway mark but I think that's due to the LED bulb possibly not being meant for this.

seneca likes this.
  4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Well, you’ve got an LED compatible dimmer switch so that’s good but is the lamp (bulb) a dimmable one ?

Even if lamp states dimmable, there can often be a mismatch between lamp and switch brands and simply, some work together better than others

Also, a huge variation in quality with led lamps and dimmer switches (as with all commodities)

Some simply work better than others. Not as noticeable with a standard on/off switch but more prone to issues when fitting a dimmer

as you’ve found out, flickering is one possible side effect, others can be loud buzzing from either lamps and/or dimmer, poor minimum and maximum light levels, jumping light levels when going from min to max, premature lamp life (maybe up for debate this one ;)) and probably others negatives

At least It’s working so all good :)

Andrew J Cochrane likes this.
  5. Aleks Sedgwick

Aleks Sedgwick New Member

Exact solution to my identical problem! Thank you :)

6. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I have found with electronic switches the cheaper the bulb the better they seem to work. These two G9-small.jpg G9-big.jpg the first has all the right markings on it, and well known make, and the covers will fit, but it flashed when switched off until a load capacitor fitted and it shimmered when on, the second bulb officially illegal to sell in UK as no wattage or lumen marked on the bulb, and the cover will not fit, but no flashing and no shimmer.

I had one fail so opened up, simple dry joint so fixed it, but inside that cheap bulb the electrolytic capacitor to stop flicker was nearly as big as the whole bulb for first one.

Physically big bulbs seem to be OK, but physically small bulbs seem to have a problem.