10 bar vented cylinder for communal hot water system?

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by bcdriscoll, Sep 24, 2022.

1. bcdriscoll

bcdriscoll New Member

Hi all,

First time poster, wonder if anyone can give me a bit of advice....

I have a flat in a Council high-rise block where there is a communal heating/hot water system. The flat has gravity-fed 140L indirect cylinder (RM Cylinders prod no 40082) outputting via twin pump to shower/bath and kitchen.

The Council's heating team have recently told me this cylinder is not suitable as it should have a primary coil rated to 10 bar. The existing system has worked fine for me over the last seven or eight years but it looks like I will need to comply with this request to get sign-off for some alterations I'm making.

I've had a look around online and it doesn't seem like there are many domestic-type cylinders with this rating. Does anyone know of a reasonably-priced product range that would be appropriate for connecting to a communal system?

Any recommendations or advice much appreciated, thanks in advance. Ben

2. Cliff Rees

Cliff Rees Active Member

The company I use for making cylinders to my specification is Thomas Gledhill who provide a quick delivery at a competative price. Google Glehill Xpress for Bespoke cylinders or telephone 01253 474584. But first of all I would check what makes the Council think that the primary coil in your existing cylinder is unsuitable.

3. bcdriscoll

bcdriscoll New Member

morning Cliff, thanks very much for getting back - this sounds a good recommendation and note their cylinders are stocked quite locally plus seem affordably priced. But as you say would help to understand why they think 10.0 bar is required...I'm just a layman but this sounds very high and many of the indirect cylinders I have looked at do not even give this rating in the product spec!

4. Cliff Rees

Cliff Rees Active Member

I asked the question as most copper cylinders over the past few years have had copper tube coils rather then the annular heat exchangers fitted many years ago. The working pressure for 22mm and 28mm copper tube depending on the grade used is about 51 bar so would be well within the 10 bar required. You can check this yourself by "googling" copper tube, working pressures. So unless the cylinder is very old and fitted with an annular heat exchanger which in any case would failed immediately, your present cylinder should be perfectly ok as it has been so far. Get the Council to check their facts.