100% CPU Firefox usage.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by devil's advocate, Oct 7, 2008.

1. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Hmm, this is starting to happen again - I think I had this problem a year or so ago.

Basically, whilst on t'net, the computer freezes for around 30 seconds and everything on it stops working too - eg the pooter TV.

Windows Task Manager shows that Firefox is taking up to 100% CPU usage during that time (varies between 93-98%), and this goes on for around 30 seconds whereupon it calms down again and normal service is resumed.

It can happen when loading new pages, after a page has loaded, spontaneously - any time it feels like it, really.

Whatthefek can be causing this?

(I have anticipated Hunty's assistance and have formatted my - and every one of neighbour's - hard drives.)

I've scanned using Ad-aware and Grisoft, cleaned out everything using CCleaner, sworn, shouted and generally abused the machine in every way imaginable, but no good.

It can happen when the pooter is cold, or after it's been on for hours.

Help please :(

2. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Hi DA, just google firefox forums. On most of them you will find complaints about firefox concerning cpu usage etc. it seems that firefox is not a very stable internet browser. Susceptible to memory leakage (just like me then) and all sorts of problems with web pages and sites that don't support FF. If all else fails then go back to IE as your browser and dismiss firefox.
    Hope this helps, although I strongly suspect that it aint.

3. misstoolkit

misstoolkit New Member

Mine does the same and sometimes it even takes the computer 5 mins to come on or doesnt connect to the net at all. I've got a chap coming around to look at it soon. If I get any good advice I will pass it on. Good luck.

4. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

Does it depend on the website ?

E-bay and MSN are causing big problems at the moment.

T-mobile is also experiencing/causing problems with certain sites.

Don't assume it's a problem with your pc.

5. misstoolkit

misstoolkit New Member

Mine seems to be general internet usage. When I don't have wireless router on I don't have any problems. I'm not with T mobile - mine is with Pipex and it always says that the signal strength is excellent but cant always locate the server.

6. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Thanks all - I'll try a surf for info.

Yes, some sites - eBay, etc - can be painfully slow at times, but this strange thing happens completely at random, seemingly on any site, even after pages have completely finished downloading - I think it's even happened on here in the middle of a reply...

I don't want to lose Firefox - I like it. Tho' I don't want to go to their Version 3 - that's just TOO much.

Ah well... Cheers.

7. Frazzled

Frazzled New Member

I didn't read all of your post but I think it's possible you may need to format your hard drive and those of your immediate neighbours.

Firefox pfffft

8. Oyster

Oyster New Member

Yes, it's time to format.

9. U need to upgrade to Netscape Navigator 8, that's the problem.

10. Frazzled

Frazzled New Member

You need a new truss, then you will be able to stand corrected again.

11. Sorry d-ad, I got that wrong. Netscape Navigator 8 won't run on yer VT100. I suggest u try installing a HDD and then installing an O/S.

12. Krusty the Clown

Krusty the Clown New Member

I was also having the same sorta problems with Firefox, I ditched it and downloaded "Opera" as my browser, no more problems!! ( I hope)

13. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

Do you have any problems with not beibg able to stop the fat lady from singing?

14. ­

­ New Member

Is your computer plugged in?

15. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

Of course it is, how else would I have been able to put up that last post, Mr No Name

16. ­

­ New Member

not you BB, I was talking to d/a but, to be pedantic (who me?) you COULD have posted that without being plugged in.

(Laptop on battery + wireless internet)

I rest my case m'lud.

17. ­

­ New Member

anway d/a, was your pooter plugg........

nah, can't be bothered

18. ­

­ New Member

anway = Amway

19. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

Have you cleaned the registry with CCleaner or just the temp files?

I use Firefox 3 without any problems.

A defrag could well help too if you don't do it regularly.

Auslogics has a good freebie defragger for download, it's fast and effective, (just ignore it at the end when it tells you it's found loads of junk files that need removing).

There's another programme here which seems to deal with your problem but I've not used it so can't recommend it.

20. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Google Chrome works well, I believe it is just a clone of Firefox.