100% CPU Usage.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by devil's advocate, Dec 6, 2007.

1. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Sometimes - quite often akshully - when I start up an additional prog, or load a web page, the bludy pooter slows right down. If I have the DVB TV running on the machine at the same time, it'll often freeze for a few seconds.

Alt, Cntrl & Deleting to bring up the Task Manager worryingly shows my CPU usage to be 100% at times like this. Worse still, I seem to have 36 processes going.

Whatthefuk?! I've only got Screwfix and TV going. Ok, I know there are things like Anti-Virus and stuff running in the background, but what the 'ell is going on?!

I only have 512 Mb RAM - would boosting this help? Also, how can I find what these 36 processes are?!

Ta much.

(I know I could (should) post this on a pooter forum, but everyone on here is so knowledgeable and helpful and friendly.)

2. devil's advocate

Ok, ok, I've just realised that Task Manager can show you all the processes...

Almost all are registering 0% activity. The only ones which weren't were my TV at 2% and 'PlayProgram.exe' at around 3-8%. What the **** is PlayProgram.exe?

APDPROXY.exe also flickers into life now and then. What the double-**** is that?

And what are all the other fcukers sitting there looking at me?

Help.

3. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

could your cpu be overheating?

4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

If your using a media player and the internet at the same time, you will be using most (if not all) of your processing power..

:(

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Take no notice of the 100% CPU usage. It's a stupid usage monitor. It can measure Idle time too. Idle time is the time that the CPU is not in use. So your CPU usage could be 2% for say 6 applications(12%) + 88% Idle time = 100%.

:(

But if you are looking at a proper usage monitor, it should shoot up to 100% for say a second, then back down to whatever it was before.

I could go on for ages about this, but I'm off to bed, and Google can be your friend(or Microsoft :()

Mr. HandyAndy - really

6. ­

­ New Member

Devs, get Task Manage up again and click on Processes.

Expand this to full screen by clicking the middle box in top r/h corner.

You will see a column headed CPU.

Click this once.

Click it again.

You should now see some activity by way of percentages at the top of this column. This is showing you the percentages of the percentages being used if you know what I mean.

In other words, say your pc is using 15% of its resources and the CPU column top item shows 80%. That is 80% of the 15%.

You can highlight any row to track the useage, give it a try.

7. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

my old laptop used to do that, because i had it on my lap covering all the vents!
    Bought a cooler and it was fine, completely cured!

8. ª¹

ª¹ New Member

Get into dos and format the hard drive. All your problems will be sorted cos a special programme speeds everything up and saves all your files in a special folder so no worries, m4.

512? Pffffffftttttttt

186 is it?

9. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

It's not normal to have 100% CPU usage all the time you need to check what’s using the recourses if a programme is not working properly like a firewall it may use 100% recourses or it could be a Trojan spy ware etc. What protection are you using? Lots of Microsoft components are using bits of resources so I wouldn’t worry too much about 30 processes running. Have you customised you’re start up to stop unnecessary programmes from running

10. ª¹

ª¹ New Member

"Have you customised you’re start up to stop unnecessary programmes from running "

That's a good idea.

Well posted.

11. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

That's a good idea.
    Well posted.

What sort of character would post such a pointless, sarcastic, .......... ah, of course.

12. ª¹

ª¹ New Member

I wasn't being sarcastic, I genuinely do think it's a good idea. I would never have thought to do that so therefore I am very, very impressed and I mean that most sincerely, by the way, which one's pink?

13. devil's advocate

Thanks to (nearly) all. (Formatting the hard drive did nothing to help :p)

Yes, it only flickers to 100% for a second or so - so I can see that that's ok.

I sure it's not a heating problem cos it can happen at any time even when I've just started up the pooter, so it's as cold as I am - doesn't actually happen often, tho'. Also, I know the CPU fan is working ok from when I chucked in the extra HD.

It only happens now and then. The 36 processes running threw me a bit - what the 'ell are 'PlayProgram.exe', 'APDPROXY.exe', etc?

14. nigel

nigel Guest

15. Bonzo

Bonzo New Member

16. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

100% processor usage is normal for small periods at a time. Not normal for long periods though as the processor will get stressed and you won't see the best out of your machine as tasks will be queued. Processes should usually only need 100% for milliseconds at a time unless you are asking the processor to do too much.

Massive subject though.

Depends on applications, processor speed, external devices etc etc.

Plus the obvious virus or Trojan infection.

Think of a 1.4l Ford Focus, Runs fine with you and Mrs DA going to the shops. Might strain a bit on the way if you pick up 3 passengers and take them to the Airport with their luggage. Might slow down a lot if you put a caravan on the back and so on.

More memory might help but without knowing the applications causing the problems it's dificult to say.

Certain applications need more processing power than others.

Want more info ?

17. Mr GrimNasty

All the help you need: www.google.co.uk

18. devil's advocate

Nigel, Bonzo, diy, and even Mr Grim :)

Thanks X 4

I'm confident all is generally well, but would love to disable the unnecessary stuff.

Thanks for the info and tips.

19. Mr GrimNasty

"but would love to disable the unnecessary stuff"

So would I, believe me.

20. ­

­ New Member

d.a., do you actually have a computer?