100A Isolator plus a favour

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Steve D, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Steve D

Steve D New Member

Hi

Is it true I can get a 100A DP isolator fitted for free to replace the two dodgy fuses I have at present. Who do I contact for this ?

As a add on to this, if the guy from the leccy fits this, will he have to disconnect the incoming supply and if he does, do you think he will move it a couple of feet sideways.

I'm having a downstairs toilet fitted and the meter is in the way. My neighbour said he was quoted £700 to move the meter !

I'm not payin that for 2 feet sideways.

I'd do it my self but I've got to move the incoming cable 2 joists across.

Any thoughts.........

2. The Trician

The Trician New Member

I rang the number for customer enquiries on my last powergen bill last thursday and they came this afternoon to install a 100A DP isolator on my supply. I asked if there was a charge for this but the woman at the other end of the phone said NO! I shall however await my next bill with interest just in case. Get your supplier to install an isolator and then move your meter afterwards if they don't want to play ball.
    The guy who fitted it came from Siemens, who do metering etc. Not a leccy board van in sight! He said that it used to be 3-4 metres for max tails length but now no one gives a XXXX! So you can have em as long as you want!!

Or that's the way it seems....
    Good luck and let us know how you get on.

3. Steve D

Steve D New Member

Problem is, I need to disconnect the incoming supply from the fuses as is, or from the new isolator and move it 2 joists down. I can't just run longer tails.

Does your new one have a seal or anything to stop you disconnecting the supply ? The connection I have at the moment looks dirty as hell, the earth connection is rusted up and I am not keen on disconnecting it as it might fall apart !

Anybody else tried this ?

4. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Problem is, I need to disconnect the incoming supply
    from the fuses as is, or from the new isolator and
    move it 2 joists down. I can't just run longer
    tails.

Does your new one have a seal or anything to stop you
    disconnecting the supply ? The connection I have at
    the moment looks dirty as hell, the earth connection
    is rusted up and I am not keen on disconnecting it as
    it might fall apart !

Anybody else tried this ?

At the supply to your installation,there is no seal so you can disconnect the tails and move whatever you want to your hearts content (this is the 100A DP isolator we are talking about usually a MEM type),however,they do supply you with a small dust plate that slots in the top to stop any foreign bodies coming in.

Just a note to Trician,you did well mate in getting the leccy Co. out so quick,I have been hanging about for hours once before waiting for them.

5. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Yes, on the subject of visit times I was given a choice of 08:00 - 12:00 or 12:00 - 20:00. He came at round 13:30 and was there for 23 minutes - he had to time it because these guys get the run-around from base, so they have to report in via a fancy wireless laptop thingy so that base knows where they are and what they are doing every minute of the day. 23 minutes is the time they are permitted to fit a 100A DP switch.

You might as well have to wear a very long dog lead:(

6. sparkydude

sparkydude New Member

Hey Trician, i live in burton upon trent, and i want the same doing, Im with powergen, can you give me the number and how you worded it LOL In your own stylish way to persuade them to do it for free LOL

Thanks

Nick

7. The Trician

The Trician New Member

POWERGEN NUMBER 0800 056 3856. I just asked the woman who answered if I could have the isolator fitted and whether or not there was a charge for this. She checked and replied that there wasn't, and what day & time of day did I want the job doing. I asked for the earliest date they could give, and arranged it from there. Let me know how you get on. i'm in Matlock Bath.

8. Steve D

Steve D New Member

just checked the fuses again and they are 40A, that seems really low.

I definately want a 100A fitting for nothing now.

Out of interest, how old will these fuses be ?

9. Damocles

Damocles New Member

You reckon they're doing this because in the end it will be cheaper than having to keep a team of guys to re-seal meters? Also, if they find a broken seal it might actually mean something funny is going on rather then just a bit of rewiring?

10. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Probably, because every visit by them is now logged. Funny thing is, that the meter readers are a different organisation to the meter installers/servicing people and they are different to those who you buy your electricty from....?

I wonder if there is something forthcoming in Part P? May even be some IEE Regs changes in the offing too.
    Compulsory provision of isolation. Inspecting & Testing dictates that you MUST NOT work LIVE until the type of test needs it, so I dunno!

11. The Trician

The Trician New Member

just checked the fuses again and they are 40A, that
    seems really low.

I definately want a 100A fitting for nothing now.

Out of interest, how old will these fuses be ?

Am guessing they'll be of 1960's vintage?

I can remember fuses going from 60A to 80A, and then onto 100 & 125A from the 70's to present day, but don't know for sure beyond this.

12. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Hey Nick,

What's "My own stytlish way"? :)

I'm not too harsh or bombastic am I?

Ho Hum!!