110v or 240v? please advise

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by fobos, Apr 7, 2009.

1. russellsimpkin

russellsimpkin New Member

Hi all, a few points need clarifying here, in an earlier post there was mention of an inverter this converts AC to DC not just voltage this is fine if your in a van but not mains sockets, if you are intending to plug it into a 110V lead what you need is a step up transformer with the right KVA rating.

However as a site manager I can assure you with no uncertainty that no 240 equipment would be allowed on any commercial site even if run through a step up transformer with an RCD.
    The idea behind 110 volt equipment is the way it's designed is that there is only ever a 55V potential which should not be in most cases fatal.

It's also important to remember at this point that all equipment must be PAT tested every 3 months and a list of this equipment and test dates would be passed to the site manager for inspection and filing.

Please take a moment to think why these regulations are put in place, through one person being careless or ignoring the rules, another person dies.

Point of interest for everyone as of April 2015 the CDM REGS now include domestic sites as well so be advised that there is a high potential that domestic sites will be coming under similar regs as commercial sites.

Hope this helps you to make an informed decision.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  2. stu1312

stu1312 Member

I expect he's probably purchased his tools in the last 6 years since he posted!

3. russellsimpkin

russellsimpkin New Member

There's likely other people who will review this post. I only just read it, and apparently so did you.