12v DC to AC inverter for laptop etc

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by kangooman, May 3, 2010.

1. kangooman

kangooman New Member

Hi all,

Looking at the above to run a laptop and prob phone chargers from cigarette lighter.

Any recommendations or are they all very similiar.

Would the cigarette lighter have a max Wattage it can carry, believe it is around 150w.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. 999

999 New Member

Smoking is bad 4 your health

x

3. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I have used a 150W on my cig lighter for few years to work lap top and charge phone with no problem. I did have a problem charging my mothers mobility scooter it turned out to be step charger and work great when batteries nearly charged but once went for long run it failed. It is the modified sine wave type not true sine wave.
    Got larger one for son and that needed supplying with two 35mm cables and a bit worried about isolator as only rated at 200 amp still not connected need to borrow crimper again. But at 3KVA with surge to 6KVA it really does need good supply. Using three 160AH batteries the fourth for engine starting only with two 120A alternators on the engine.
    Seems modified sine wave can be a problem but for that beast the price jumps from £125 to £500 to get true sine wave. Seems thyristor control does not like modified sine wave and only LG washing machines can be used. Also an issue with RCD it seems must use A Type not AC type.

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hi Kangoo. At the company I work for they use inverters which have laptop power supplies plugged into them, and have not heard of any problems with them (have not used them myself..but have seen them) the inverter as you say plugs into the cigarette lighter in the vans etc, so they work ok presumably. Would it not be better to buy a laptop power supply which plugs into the cigarette lighter..ditto mobile phone chargers etc. In other words is an inverter really necessary for this kind of thing although appreciate that the power supplies would also be able to be plugged into a SO indoors..so I suppose dual purpose comes into play.