12V Halogens trip RCD

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by colinm, Nov 1, 2003.

1. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

well im not to keen on the kits either but the only time i will use 1.00mm if for switch drops forthe difference(bout£4) you might aswell use 1.5 then you have no worries about V.D

Practice safe wiring - avoid V.D. ;)

Seriously - at Screwfix prices 1.0mm cable is £2.54 cheaper for a 100m reel than 1.5mm.....

2. supersparky

supersparky New Member

Very much worth avoiding vold drop as B-A-S said, unless you know how to calculate it and yes you are better off not using kits

BR

3. RoB

RoB Guest

Ban-All-Sheds: Can't help thinking your "safe wiring" gag went over someone's head there.........

4. supersparky

supersparky New Member

on reading it back i c............ :-X

5. colinm

colinm New Member

Whilst out today I decided to buy a dimmer switch...just to see what happened.

And its solved the problem! The light never trips the MCD.

The only trouble now is the transformer buzzes like hell - much more than before - and increases as the lights get brighter. I know this happens with dimmer switches, but is it ok with the transformer?

6. seylectric

seylectric New Member

Sorry about the delay. I still think that the transformer is the problem!

Fair comments on cable size and V.D lads, I do note the figures quoted, but just to clear up any misunderstanding I do use 1.5mm2 too on jobs that require it (larger properties, longer circuits etc.)

7. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Do you really need to save that few pence per m of cable, at the cost of compromising the future?

I don't have a large house (typical 3-bed suburban semi), but I have 1400W of lighting on my downstairs circuit - if I want to add a downstairs loo, with another light and an extractor fan, and a couple of PIR floodlights at the back, I might get over your 2400W, and be a bit cheesed off that you'd saved a quid or less on the cost of the cable....

8. supersparky

supersparky New Member

1.5 is better, it will allow you to upgrade as B-A-S says and its not so much more expensive, the only use i can see for 1.00mm is switch drops and dedicated smoke alarm circuits.........and sheds

BR