13amp 3 Pin coloured plugs

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Wayners, Dec 17, 2017.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not along the whole length of the cable, on some of my power tools like my plane, I have a short 150mm - 200mm length at the plug end of purple, hot air gun is blue.

2. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Ain't your tools supposed to be 110 volt so coloured plugs shouldn't be an option.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

It all depends Is - to expand a qualified sparks as well as other trades have to have 110v power tools? This might be true if you are working on an accredited pukka construction site - however sparkin and other work in dom situations might be exempt. Dont forget builders boards - I rest my case.

4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

We allow 240 volt tools where they are protected by either rcd protected circuit, rcd adapter or rcd plug.

Kind regards

Isitreally likes this.
  5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I mean a Spark (electrical technician) requires minimal tools - maybe a circular saw to hack the laminate flooring, a cordless drill and one of those multi functional tester things as well as screwdrivers etc in a small tool box..and maybe a cable jockey.

Lets face facts sparkin doesnt really require many tools as opposed to say a multi trade spark/plumber/kitchen fitter/bathroom, plasterer/dry lining and stuff multi tradesman.

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I label all my plug tops with printed labels from a label printer. They're only a few quid and you can use them for all sorts of things.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I wonder if you have a 3D printer whether you could print a push fit cover to fit over the plug, or even print a new top for the plug in colour of your choice.

There isn't a shortage of colours.

[​IMG]

8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

A lot of tools come with a moulded plug as well - often heavy duty - seems a shame to cut that off and throw it away for some poor quality alternative.

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I'm all domestic but I use a trip switch plug on extension lead and plug in that. Cable is a terrible trip hazard. My worry is the amount of poor condition of electrical wiring on jobs.. Guess your all know this though. Recently worked on a kitchen with one black 1950s fuse board under the kitchen sink that was leaking water.. G! I was all cordless or hand tools on that one.

10. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Reminds me of VIR

12. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Practically no site will allow 230V tools though, irrespective of what BS7671 states. Also remember that BS7671 states a "strong preference" for 110V.

13. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

I would suggest that Electricians tend to carry more tools (including power tools) than other trades.

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Fair nuff Mr R, was messing about a bit, I forgot the fiberglass step ladders

bright_Spark likes this.
  15. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

:):):)

16. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Which colour?

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Oh sorry Spin - yellow ones m8 - yellow fibre glass step ladders

18. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Mine are Blue.

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Personally I have only got ally stepladders Spin - but if I was a sparks and did site work and stuff, then it would be the fiberglass ones in yellow or blue, its either that or get chucked off of site I suppose - fibre glass step ladders are very sensible things really.

20. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Never thought I would see the day......rough tough electricians (God bless 'em)...discussing " colour coordination".
    :rolleyes:
    RS