162 core on Titan TTB278SDS ?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Flitter, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

That can be bad advice ... I had a discussion with a core manufacturer recently about a failure and they mentioned that if the corer collapses or breaks up it can lead to undue stresses on the core and the tips breaking off.

I will always drill right through and even if I just score or mark the second side and do the main drilling from one side, it tends to avoid break out and the faces off bricks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Seen stitch drilling take a tooth off a core drill, so it's something I don't do.

Same here pilot hole right through, then core one side abit to prevent break out, then core completely from other side.

Pollowick and kitfit1 like this.
  3. Flitter

Flitter New Member

Thanks for the hot tips. Regards.

4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I do the same as well, unless i'm in an upside down house and the kitchen is on the first floor :D

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Often the pilot hole which blows the face off the brick, so go steady when going inside to out. Can always switch off hammer for the last inch or so! If high up and scaffolding or a tower available, then I'll go either outside in with the core bit, or at least core in an inch from the outside and do the rest from the inside. If it has to be done without, then I only core inside out. Not going to risk life a d limb to save a bit of brickwork that is usually covered by the plastic vent :)

KIAB likes this.
  6. Flitter

Flitter New Member

Success with my bin-sized cheapo 162mm and the Titan. Drilling the stitch-holes made such a massive difference.
    Last time I used the Titan for a core, I struggled with the weakish clutch cutting a 100mm hole. The 162 went through easily and it scarcely grabbed at all. I did inner leaf first, marked it with the core, stitched round with 10mm. Followed up with outer leaf (from inside), but set depth to stop for stitches 1cm short of the face. That avoided any break-out from the hammer stitching, and the core went though like butter.
    Cheap drill, cheap core, success means ££. Mustn't grumble.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well done, lucky.:)

8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

well done - and I guess fairly soft brick:p. Last time I cut a 150 the brick was hard as f. It took 15 minutes with a hired drill and a brand new core to go through the outer leaf (but the inner was conc block and took about 15s). Just shows those cheap Titans are good value!