16A cable for events

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by X254, Jan 12, 2018.

1. X254

X254 New Member

I have some 16A c-form cable. Some is 2.5 other is 1.5. Its in lengths of 5m, 10m, 20m and 30m.
    As this is not clipped direct and goes out on hire i guess i need to replace the 1.5 with 2.5 as its just not safe for that situation? Also what would be a suitable Earth Bond limit for a PAT test on the 2.5 cable? A calculator online says that it should be the following:

5m 0.14
    10m 0.18
    20m 0.26
    30m 0.34
    Some of the 20m 2.5 cables are failing as they read at 0.28 is there any lee way on this? e.g can i increase the pass limit to 0.29 and still be safe?
    All the 1.5 cables i test with these settings fail.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

What does ''Earth Bond Limit'' mean Mr X?
  3. X254

X254 New Member

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Well-Known Member

It's a bond that limits the earth :p
  5. X254

X254 New Member

[​IMG] Any PAT testers out there?
  6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Oh right cheers Mr C - never heard of that before tbqh
    Coloumb likes this.
  7. X254

X254 New Member

Talk amongst yourselfs for a bit ...Bye
  8. MGW

MGW Active Member

I found there is a problem where items are moved. This must be the case where where items are hired as we have no idea if RCD protected or not. For caravan sites yes we know there should be a RCD but for 13A the easy way was a RCD plug.

With reduced low voltage common for no RCD on the transformer output, in fact often no overload either, or at least with 16A often needs 50A to trip a 10A trip on the transformer input. So it is always good to open the plug when testing looking for burning.
  9. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Well-Known Member

@X254 see your other post.

Kind regards