16A ovens - best solution in

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Spark19*, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Roys

Roys Active Member

Already voiced my opinion at the very start of this thread, of just fitting a dual outlet plate and be done with it.
    However another wee point to consider is the manufacturer is maybe asking for a 16A supply as they are wanting that as a minimum so confirms my standpoint that the 32A RCBO is grand. They maybe state the 16A to stop you putting a 13A plug on it.

2. Spark19*

Spark19* New Member

They are not asking for a 16a supply. They are asking for a 16A-fused connection.
    Break this down:
    What is an appliance fuse for? - To protect the appliance cable predominantly. Some would argue the appliance also. Matters little here.
    Who knows what fuse may be required as they know the rating of the appliance cable and/or risks to internal components (take your pick) - Only the manufacturer
    Can an appliance pull more current than rated without a full short circuit - absolutely
    Can you therefore rely on the appliance only experiencing a full short circuit in fault and therefore the MCB triggering in the consumer unit? - No

3. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

The appliance fuse is exactly that, to protect the appliance, not the cable.

If the manufacturer was so concerned then they would fit an internal appliance fuse.

4 scenarios.

1. Element open circuit - oven don't work.
    2. Element short circuit - bang
    3. Element partial short circuit, say half its length, element overheats and open circuits. See 1.
    4. Earth fault - RCD trips/MCB operates
    No problem.

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

I guess the thing that’s odd is that it seems to be acceptable to connect 1.5mm CSA flex directly to a 32A supply.

5. Bazza-spark

@Jimbo I understand your thoughts, but a cooker is classed as a fixed load, so it isn't an issue.

Jimbo likes this.
  6. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Thank you!

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

That point has been posted at least three times already!

8. Bazza-spark

Yes, but he seems to have missed it.

9. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

If you want to play it exactly by the makers instructions, and fulfill the requirements or our regulations the best way of achieving this is to fit an enclosure to the end of the 6mm 2 with a din rail with 2 16A breakers, a neutral and an earth bar. This is not a CCU as it does not have a main switch. Connect each oven to a separate CB using flex glands to secure the outgoing flexes. Now you have each oven fed by its own 16A breaker, the flexes are correctly protected against overload (if they need to be)

Jimbo likes this.